You will not believe how tasty this Coconut Whipped Cream is! The perfect way to top off any sweet treat with a super light and fluffy texture! Ready in under five minutes and an amazing dairy free alternative to traditional whipped cream!
Try adding a dollop of this healthier whipped cream to my rainbow fruit tray!
- 3 Ingredients: When I first made this topping I was blown away that it could come together with only a few very basic ingredients!
- Dairy Free: This is such a great option for anyone that is dairy free and can even be made with minimal or no sugar!
- Semi Healthy: Or accidentally healthy. We are obsessed with how delicious this is without the addition of heavy fats and sugars.
I am completely obsessed with this recipe. It’s one of my go-to whipped toppings and the perfect addition for every dessert recipe! We add it to mug cakes, cheesecake and even ice cream or milkshakes! It’s incredibly versatile with a light texture and incredibly creamy coconut flavor.
Our favorite way to serve? Dolloped onto a bowl of mixed berries! It is the perfect addition, whether you are dairy free or not, and is loved by everyone that tries it!
So, what exactly is coconut whipped cream? Unlike the traditional whipped cream, this recipe uses the thickened coconut milk that separates from a can when it’s chilled. Whipped to light perfection, and lightly sweetened, this is the perfect substitute! Here is what you need to get started:
- Coconut Milk: Full fat canned coconut milk (affiliate). Don’t use lite coconut milk. It won’t separate as well leaving you with a runny and less fluffy finish.
- Sweetener: Optional, but we like to add a little honey or powdered sugar to this as we whip. It adds just a slight sweetness that helps to compliment the coconut.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla works as a flavor enhancer and really takes this from good to great.
How To Make Coconut Whipped Cream
- PREP: Refrigerate a can or two of coconut milk, unopened, overnight. This helps to separate the thicker part of the coconut and the liquid, giving you the perfect base to the whipped cream.
- WHIP: Without shaking, open the can and spoon the top layer of thick milk into a chilled bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle. Whip in the honey and vanilla. Continue to mix on medium speed until a thick consistency is reached, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- ENJOY: Serve over the berries or dessert of your choice of sweet treat!
- Electric Mixer: Add one of these mixers (affiliate) to your Christmas list! They are a game changer for avid bakers. That being said, a handheld mixer (affiliate) works too!
- Silicone Spatulas: If you don’t have a set of silicone spatulas (affiliate), I highly recommend in adding them to your kitchen.
- Airtight Container: This fruit topping will stay fresh longer if stored inside a quality food container (affiliate).
The great thing about this whipped cream is that you can keep it covered in the fridge for about a week. Which means one batch will last you quite a while!
A few of our favorite coconut milks, that we find work the best for this recipe are Savory Coconut Cream and Natures Charm.
The best way to store this coconut whipped cream is to keep it in an airtight container inside the refrigerator. The cream will firm up as it chills and will need to be rewhipped before using.
Coconut Whipped Cream and Berries
- 1 can of coconut milk chilled overnight in the refrigerator
- 1-2 Tablespoon powdered sugar optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- berries of your choice or other dessert
- Refrigerate a can or two of coconut milk, unopened, overnight. This helps to separate the thicker part of the coconut and the liquid, giving you the perfect base to the whipped cream.
- Without shaking, open the can and spoon the top layer of thick milk into a chilled bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle.
- Whip in the honey and vanilla. Continue to mix on medium speed until a thick consistency is reached, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve over the berries or dessert of your choice of sweet treat!