These simple lemon poppy seed muffins are bursting with citrus flavor. Perfectly sweetened, thanks to the drizzle of lemon glaze, and bakery worthy.
- Light and Moist Texture
- Bold Lemon Flavor
- Freezer Friendly
- Would Make Again
The use of fresh lemon in the cake itself paired with the tart lemon glaze gives these a fun springtime flavor boost that is out of this world. We have served them to guests, brought them to parties, and enjoyed them as a special Sunday treat. They are perfect for all occasions!
This lemon poppy seed muffin recipe is ideal for serving for breakfast or brunch!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE
The secret to this recipe, like most of my baked goods, is to use quality ingredients. Be sure to pick out your lemons, scrub them clean, and use a zester that will give you fine pieces. You want to zest just the yellow part of the fruit. Once you start to hit the white interior you’ll know to stop.
Also, you want to make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature. This will ensure even mixing and perfect muffins!
- All-Purpose Flour: You can make this gluten free by using an 1 to 1 substitute or swap half whole wheat flour for a more filling muffin.
- Sugar: Granulated, or white, sugar.
- Poppy seeds: Poppy seeds are used in baking as toppings for bread, cookies, cakes and more.
- Baking Leaveners: Baking powder and baking soda are used in this recipe. Be sure to check the expiration date and replace after they have been open for more than 6 months.
- Eggs: Large eggs, preferably at room temperature so they mix into the batter quickly.
- Yogurt: No yogurt? You can switch this with sour cream.
- Applesauce OR Oil: I like to use oil in my recipe, but applesauce works in a pinch.
- Lemon zest and Juice
HOW TO MAKE LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
- PREP: Preheat the oven and line a muffin pan with liners. You can also skip the liners and spray with a baking spray.
- MIX: Measure ingredients and mix. I like to use a whisk and skip the mixer with my muffins. Hand mixing makes all the difference and produces a moist and tender muffin every time.
- BAKE: Fill the prepared muffin cups to the top with batter. Bake five minutes, lower the temp and continue to bake until cooked through.
- ENJOY: Drizzle with a lemon glaze and serve!
- Cupcake liners : Cupcake liners (affiliate) are an easy way to help you get your muffins out of the tin and not stick to the bottom.
- Scooper : A scooper (affiliate) can help you evenly measure out how much batter you put into your cupcake liner. This helps ensure all of your muffins are the same size and bakery worthy.
- Measuring cups : A quality set of dry ingredient measuring cups (affiliate) are an amazing addition to any kitchen. They are perfect for measuring flour, sugar, and more.
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFIN RECIPE
- Play around with the types of oil you use. I have used both vegetable and coconut with success. The possibilities are endless.
- No yogurt on hand? Swap it out for sour cream. This really adds to the tangy flavor of the lemon and helps it shine as the star.
- Hand mixing will give you the best muffin texture.
- Always fill your muffin tins 3/4 or close to the top for that beautiful rounded top.
MORE MUST-TRY MUFFINS
Lemon Poppy seed Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 6 oz container plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1-1/4 cup oil OR apple sauce
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract optional
For the glaze:
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 regular sized cupcake tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Gently whisk.
- Stir together the eggs, yogurt, oil, lemon zest, 1/3 cup lemon juice, and extract if using. Fold into the dry ingredients. Hand mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide between 18 muffin cups. Bake for 5 minutes. Without opening the oven, reduce the temperature to 350. Continue to bake 10-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Whisk together the confectioners sugar and remaining 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Dip or drizzle your muffins.