This is the absolute BEST spaghetti meat sauce! So easy to make and the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. Did I mention it is also freezer friendly?
I have been working on this recipe for AGES. A good ol’ traditional spaghetti recipe seems like a staple every cook should have in their recipe box, am I right?
It is a classic pasta dish that also happens to be the ultimate comfort food. Ground beef, tomatoes, Italian seasonings all combine to give you a flavorful dish that is hearty and delicious! This spaghetti sauce with ground beef fits the bill and is made on the regular in our home.
- Freezer Friendly: We make a large batch of this sauce, split it in half, and freeze half for later.
- Hearty and Filling.
- Perfect Pasta Sauce.
What You Need:
Don’t let the long list of ingredients intimidate you. Most of these items are pantry staples and most likely on hand and are what make this the best spaghetti meat sauce recipe.
- Ground beef
- Green pepper
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Bay leaf
- Parmesan Cheese
What can I put in spaghetti?
The beauty of this dish is that it is so easy to customize. We often substitute ground beef for Italian sausage. It is a simple way to change the flavor and give the sauce a little more flare. Another great mix in? Veggies! Zucchini, carrots, spinach, or mushrooms are all perfect additions!
Step by Step Instructions:
- Add the ground beef, onion, and green pepper to a large skillet. Cook on medium heat until the beef is browned and the onion and pepper are soft.
- Add the garlic and cook one minute more.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, basil, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook one hour.
- Serve over your favorite cooked pasta.
TIP: This also happens to be an amazing meat sauce for lasagna!
This homemade meat sauce makes A LOT. For a family of three that can be a bit of a waste. Fear not! I have come up with the perfect solution. If you find you will not be able to finish all of the sauce you can freeze it! Follow the simple directions below and enjoy your pasta sauce later.
How to freeze homemade pasta sauce:
- Allow your sauce to cool after cooking.
- Spoon into gallon sized zip top bags.
- Place in the freezer and allow to freeze until solid.
That’s it! Can you believe how simple the process is? You can keep it in your freezer for 4 to 6 months if it is stored properly. When you are ready to cook simply heat in a sauce pan until the sauce reaches a boil.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
Spaghetti Meat Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small green pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes undrained
- 16 oz can tomato sauce
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Add the ground beef, onion, and green pepper to a large skillet. Cook on medium heat until the beef is browned and the onion and pepper are soft.
- 2. Add the garlic and cook one minute more.
- 3. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, basil, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- 4. Bring to a simmer and cook one hour.
- 5. Serve over your favorite cooked pasta.
Pin for later: