This post was updated on by
Warm your belly with this perfectly Spiked Cocoa Recipe. The secret? Salted Caramel Kahlua! It adds the perfect splash of caramel flavor.
I HAD bring you the most insane hot cocoa recipe of your life. I basically took an already delicious drink and added a little touch of extra goodness with some salted caramel. That is right, my friends… I ADDED CARAMEL TO HOT CHOCOLATE and it is amazing. *mic drop*
Boozy Hot Chocolate
I have never been a super fan of Kahlua but it turns out the stuff is pretty darn delicious when you pair it with rich hot chocolate. My husband says this idea is nothing new but I beg to differ. I think I’m a creative genius. Also, I don’t know why more drink companies don’t jump on the salted caramel bandwagon. Can someone please reach out to Nesquik and Ovaltine and tell them we’re ready for them to hop on this trend??
But back to this recipe. I decided to share TWO different ways you can prepare this drink since I didn’t want my non-drinking fans to be turned away. Just follow the directions below and get ready to quickly become addicted to this cup of heaven. Top with marshmallows, whipped cream, or enjoy all on it’s own!
Spiked Hot Chocolate Ingredients:
- Cocoa powder
- Granulated sugar
- Salted Caramel Kahlua OR caramel sauce with a pinch of sea salt
How to make Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate:
Stir together the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and water in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil and stir in the milk, Kahlua or Caramel. Heat until just warm enough to enjoy. Remove from the heat and stir in your vanilla extract.
Divide between 4 cups and serve with marshmallows or whipped cream if desired.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 oz Salted Caramel Kahlua OR
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce with a pinch of sea salt
- Stir together the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and stir in the milk, Kahlua or Caramel. Heat until just warm enough to enjoy. Remove from the heat and stir in your vanilla extract.
- Divide between 4 cups and serve with marshmallows or whipped cream if desired.
Top with marshmallows or whipped cream