This Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie is a combination of two classic comfort foods. The best quick weeknight dinner that will please even the pickiest eaters.
- Easy Dinner: It cannot get easier than this pot pie casserole. Mix + bake. It really is that easy, which makes this a go-to for busy weeknights.
- One Dish Recipe: Want to save on dishes? Mix the filling in the baking dish for one less dish!
- Perfect for Leftovers: Use cooked chicken or leftover turkey for the filling.
I love casseroles. They are such a quick way to get dinner on the table and they also are an easy way to sneak in some extra veggies. I also love a good pot pie. In a desperate attempt to use up some leftovers I decided to combine two of my most popular recipes and ended up with a flavor packed chicken pot pie tater tot casserole. AMAZING.
This casserole is comfort food at its finest. A combination of Tater Tot Casserole and Chicken Pot Pie, this dish has it all. The filling is made using frozen veggies and rotisserie chicken, which means you’ll have this in the oven in a snap!
CHICKEN TOT PIE INGREDIENTS
The filling in this tater tot pie is right out of my pot pie recipe. The topping? Perfectly crisp baked tater tots. The concept is so simple but this recipe has quickly become a family go-to. Super simple, flavor packed, and items we almost always have on hand. Here is what you will need to get started:
- Chicken: Or turkey. Either will work in this recipe. It’s actually a great one to use any leftovers you have on hand. Keep it in mind after Thanksgiving when you’ve got way too much turkey sitting in the fridge.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Keeping things super simple means reaching for my good ol standby. Canned soup gives you a perfectly thick filling that is sturdy enough for the tots to sit on.
- Chicken Broth: Try low sodium, or Better Than Bullion. I love the paste version which has a little less sodium and a delicious bold flavor.
- Frozen Vegetables: I always have a pack of mixed veggies in our freezer for an easy side. One small bag is all you need. However, you could swap this for your favorite cooked vegetable mix.
- Seasonings: This one is simple. You only need thyme, onion powder, and pepper. Easy peasy.
HOW TO MAKE TATER TOT CHICKEN POT PIE
- PREP: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and gather your ingredients.
- MIX: Stir together the chicken, cream soups, broth, frozen vegetables and seasonings. Pour into a 9 inch baking dish and spread evenly over the bottom.
- TOP: Add a layer of tater tots onto the top of the filling. I like to do this in an even layer. My husband is an animal and just dumps them on top. The choice is yours.
- BAKE: Bake the casserole for 20-30 minutes, or until the tater tots are crisp and the filling is bubbly.
- Baking Dish: I love my OXO baking dishes (affiliate). They come with lids, which makes storing leftovers super simple.
- Mixing Bowls: If you only add one new thing to your kitchen this year, let it be this set of mixing bowls (affiliate). They nest together perfectly AND come with lids!
- Silicone Spatulas: I have said it before, and will continue to say, I LOVE my silicone spatulas (affiliate). They are so good for so many things, including pie batter.
You can prep the filling for this recipe a day before. Add the tater tots just before baking for the best crisp and freshness.
The best way to store leftovers is to let them cool completely, transfer to an airtight container, and store inside the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Heat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Yes. I use a classic mix of peas, corn, carrots and green beans. However, you could use any of your favorite frozen varieties. Try cauliflower and broccoli or even a stir fry.
No. This recipe is delicious in a deep dish pie pan topped with a pie crust. Or you could use your favorite tot like cauliflower tots, broccoli tots, or sweet potato!
Yep! Stir together the ingredients for the filling, spread into a freezer safe pan, and top with tater tots. Wrap tightly in foil and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking per the directions.
Tater Tot Pot Pie
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 2 (10.5oz) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables thawed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the chicken, cream soups, broth, thawed vegetables, thyme, onion powder, and pepper in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Spread the filling into a 9 inch baking pan in an even layer.
- Top with a layer of tater tots and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tater tots are golden brown and the filling is bubbly.