This classic tater tot casserole recipe is made with just 4 ingredients and is the ultimate comfort food! This easy dinner recipe is a weeknight staple!
Want to switch things up? Try making my Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie!
Short story… Years ago my mother in law made this cheeseburger tater tot casserole recipe for me. Since then we have been adding it to our dinner line up on the regular.
It is my kids all-time favorite dinner recipe. I can’t complain. With just 4 ingredients I can have this casserole in the oven in under 15 minutes!
- Easy Weeknight Dinner: Ok, so you can technically make this anytime. But it’s super quick for busy nights!
- Minimal Ingredients: Seriously minimal. I’m talking 4 total.
- Ready in under 1 hour!
What You Need:
Chances are good you already have everything you need for this recipe. It surprisingly has a lot of flavor considering the short ingredient list!
- ground beef
- cream of mushroom OR cream of chicken soup
- shredded cheese
- tater tots
That is all you need to get this belly filling meal on the table.
Our house is divided. Half of us prefer the cream of mushroom while the other side is all about cream of chicken. Both canned soups work brilliantly in this dish so don’t be afraid to mix it up.
Step by Step Instructions:
The steps are fairly simple… Here is how to make tater tot casserole with cream of chicken:
- Brown your hamburger meat.
- Stir in the cream soup and shredded cheese.
- Top with tater tots.
- And bake.
If you want to make things even easier, you can always cook your hamburger ahead of time. We cook large batches of ground hamburger and divide it into 1lb servings. Place them in a freezer safe zip top bag and freeze until ready to use.
Can I substitute cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom?
Definitely. Well, in this recipe at least. The beauty of this dinner recipe is that it is very forgiving. Try your favorite creamed soup for a fun new flavor twist!
Can you add vegetables?
Adding green beans right to the meat mixture is a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies! Most veggies (steamed first) will work in this recipe. Stir in corn, carrots, peas… You cannot go wrong with any vegetable.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
Classic Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2-3 cups frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. prep a 9×9 inch casserole dish with a mist of cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the meat in a large skillet until browned and crumbled. Mix in the cream of mushroom soup and the shredded cheese. Pour into the prepared dish.
- Cover the top evenly with tater tots. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Optional: Sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve with ketchup.
Pin for later: