Turn a bland day into a tot-ally amazing one with this easy Tater tot casserole! This dish is a crispy, cheesy, and downright irresistible delight. It’s like a crunchy pillow fort built on a foundation of savory ground meat and brings joy with every bite. So, whether you’re in need of a quick weeknight meal or a crowd-pleasing party dish, let this Tater Tot Casserole be your culinary savior.
Want to switch things up? Try making my Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie! Or dive into some of our other must-try dinners like my Lasagna Stuffed Shells , Stuffed Peppers , Italian sausage and potato dinner, or The BEST Meatloaf!
Why You’ll Love This Casserole
- Easy Weeknight Dinner: You can make this dinner anytime, but it is super quick and convenient for busy nights!
- Minimal Ingredients: With only 4 ingredients, you just can’t go wrong with this belly filling budget friendly option.
- Ready In a Jif: On the table in just 45 minutes.
This is one of those recipes that are a staple for anyone that is looking to feed their family on a budget. It is so simple to make, has minimal ingredients, and wins in the flavor department. I was first introduced to this gold star meal when I married my husband. It was his go-to comfort meal and I quickly jumped on the bandwagon.
It takes just minutes to prepare for the oven and you can jazz it up in so many ways. It’s an amazing way to sneak in veggies (I like to stir in frozen peas and carrots) or the perfect main dish to a killer salad. You just can’t go wrong with this tater tot casserole recipe.
Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
Chances are good you already have everything you need for this recipe. It surprisingly has a lot of flavor considering the short ingredient list! Here is what you will need to get started:
- Ground Beef: I use the frozen ground beef from Costco. It’s super cheap and always in our freezer.
- Cream Soup: Here is the secret, you can use almost any creamed soup! We rotate between cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken. We always have them on hand and they work well with the flavors of the beef and cheese.
- Cheese: A little sharp cheddar, or mild if you prefer, is the perfect finishing touch.
- Tots: Here’s the deal, regular tater tots work amazingly well. However, if you like a little more crispy potato opt for crispy crowns! They’re tots that have essentially been formed into a more flat disk which helps them bake a little more crispy.
- Seasonings: Optional, but you can season this with any of your favorite seasoning blends! It’s already pretty salty, with the soup, but we really love Livia’s Seasoning Salt! That being said, this is actually good with no seasonings. Don’t come for me.
That is all you need to get this belly filling meal on the table. Our house is divided. Half of us prefer the cream of mushroom while the other side is all about cream of chicken. Both canned soups work brilliantly in this dish so don’t be afraid to mix it up.
Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Ready for the craziest easiest dinner instructions? If you want to make things even easier, you can always cook your hamburger ahead of time. We cook large batches of ground hamburger and divide it into 1 lb servings. Place them in a freezer safe zip top bag and freeze until ready to use.
- PREP: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef. Cook and crumble for 3 to 5 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Drain any grease from the pan.
- MIX: Stir the cream soup and shredded cheese into the meat mixture. Transfer to a Stir in the cream soup and shredded cheese. Transfer to a 9 inch baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- BAKE: Add the tater tots in a single layer and bake according to the tater tot package directions.
- ENJOY: Remove from the oven and serve immediately!
- 9 Inch Baking Dish: I really love my OXO Baking Dishes (affiliate). They come with lids which make for quick storage of leftovers.
- Plates: Love the plates I used? You can pick up a set here. (affiliate)
- Cheese Grater: Currently obsessed with this tabletop cheese grater (affiliate). It comes with several attachments and they are all amazing.
Yes, you can substitute the ground meat in a Tater Tot Casserole with your preferred option, such as ground chicken, turkey, or even plant-based alternatives like crumbled tofu or veggie crumbles.
Absolutely! You can customize the vegetables based on your preferences or what you have on hand. Some popular choices include green beans, broccoli, bell peppers, or diced onions.
Yes, you can prepare the casserole ahead of time by assembling all the ingredients in the casserole dish and refrigerating it overnight. When ready to bake, simply follow the recipe instructions, adjusting the baking time if needed.
Yes, you can freeze a Tater Tot Casserole. After assembling the casserole, and before baking, cover it tightly with aluminum foil or freezer-safe wrap, and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before baking it according to the recipe instructions.
To keep this hamburger tater tot casserole leftovers you’ll want to follow just a few simple steps. Let the casserole cool completely and transfer to an airtight container. Keep stored in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3 to 4 days.
When reheating the casserole, you can use either the microwave or the oven. If using the microwave, transfer a portion of the casserole to a microwave-safe plate and heat it in intervals, stirring occasionally, until heated through. If using the oven, preheat it to 350°F (175°C), place the desired portion in an oven-safe dish, and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
Hamburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (10.5 oz ) can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2-3 cups frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Prep a 9×9 inch casserole dish with a mist of cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef. Cook and crumble for 3 to 5 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Drain any grease from the pan.
- Stir the cream soup and shredded cheese into the meat mixture. Transfer to a Stir in the cream soup and shredded cheese. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Add the tater tots in a single layer and bake according to the tater tot package directions, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately!