Ham and swiss cheese is rolled into a thin chicken breast and baked to perfection in this easy chicken cordon bleu recipe.
This recipe was originally posted January 2, 2015. It has since been updated with relevant information and new photos.
This is a family favorite recipe for so many reasons. It is picky eater and kid approved and regularly makes it onto our menu rotation. Easily one of our favorite weeknight dinner recipes.
Ham and chicken really go together like peanut butter and jelly… But they taste oh-so much better. Serve this with honey mustard, chicken gravy, or extra cheese smothered on top for the perfect finish. Reminds me of my super simple ranch chicken dinner but with the addition of ham and cheese.
- Budget Friendly: We have estimated that this costs roughly $3 per serving. That is WITH a side salad or vegetable. You can’t beat that!
- Freezer Friendly: I included instructions to freeze this recipe below.
- Kid Approved: Most importantly, this is adult and kid approved!
What You Need:
A lot of the items I decided to use in this recipe are pantry or refrigerator staples. I use many in recipes frequently to add a boost of flavor.
- Chicken Breast
- Parmesan cheese
- Dijon Mustard
- Swiss Cheese
Because there aren’t many ingredients called for, I suggest reaching for a good quality ham. We really like the Boars Head Tavern Ham that’s behind the deli counter. Not sponsored. Just one we love. For a full list of ingredients and their measurements see the recipe card below.
Step By Step Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow dish.
- Whisk together the butter and Dijon in a second dish. Set both aside.
- Slice each breast in half length wise. Place one chicken breast half into a large Ziploc bag. Pound until very thin.
- Take one breast half and lay flat. Layer one slice of ham and two slices of cheese on top. Roll (sushi style) until the chicken is completely covering the ham. Secure with toothpicks if needed.
- Dip or roll the chicken in the butter mixture followed by the breadcrumbs.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken reaches the correct temperature.
- Optional: For an extra crispy outside run the broiler the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Tips and FAQs:
This recipe is fairly straight forward but I do have a few quick tips and frequently asked questions for you:
What side dish goes well with chicken cordon bleu?
This easy chicken dinner recipe is a go-to meal in our home. Sides that pair well are:
Can you freeze chicken cordon bleu?
If you are making this for the freezer you will want to place one breast, that has been finished through step 6, on a small foil lined pan before baking. Cover with double foil and freeze solid, about 4 hours.
Remove from the freezer and cover each chicken bundle with plastic wrap. Put into a labeled zip top bag and return to the freezer.
Remove from the freezer when you are ready to cook follow the directions below.
- Malibu Chicken Recipe
- Ranch Chicken Stuffed Shells
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Simple Lasagna Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets
- Hawaiian Chicken Dinner
- 3/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 chicken breasts, halved and pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- 8 slices of ham, preferably from the deli and cut thick
- 4 slices provolone
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow dish.
3. Whisk together the butter and Dijon in a second dish. Set both aside.
4. Slice each breast in half length wise. Place one chicken breast half into a large Ziploc bag. Pound until very thin.
5. Take one breast half and lay flat. Layer one slice of ham and two slices of cheese on top. Roll (sushi style) until the chicken is completely covering the ham. Secure with toothpicks if needed.
6. Dip or roll the chicken in the butter mixture followed by the breadcrumbs.
7. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
8. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken reaches the correct temperature.
Optional: For an extra crispy outside run the broiler the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Use toothpicks to hold the chicken in place while baking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 598Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 2168mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 61g
Pin for later: