These tasty black bean burritos are filled with flavor and the perfect addition to your dinner menu! Black beans, onion, red pepper, and garlic combine to give you the perfect plant based protein meal!
Thank you to my friends at pompeian for sponsoring this post. #trendinginthekitchen #ad
I am no stranger when it comes to cooking with black beans. We have been known to toss a cup or two into our breakfast, like in this Huevos Rancheros Casserole, and constantly add the easy protein into our dinners, like this Southwestern Chicken Tin Foil Dinner. What I never realized was that black beans are an excellent source of protein and deserved to be the star of the show.
Let me introduce you to your next meatless Monday recipe:
Black Bean Burritos
This insanely delicious dinner recipe starts with one of my all-time favorite products; Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. A perfect base for dressings, salads and vinaigrette’s, or as a table condiment for dipping bread or crudité, this extra virgin olive oil ensures health-conscious consumers of the careful handling and production they treasure, along with the flavor they expect from Pompeian.
Get ready to roll up your sleeves and whip up an easy weeknight meal that the entire family will love.
How to rock meatless Monday:
- Pick your protein. We used black beans because it is what we always have on hand, however a good substitute would be tofu or even cooked wild rice.
- Load up your veggies. Since this recipe is super cheesy it’s the perfect opportunity to load in the vegetables. Adding in grilled corn or zucchini would be a fun way to add color to the dish!
- Spices are your friend. Utilize your spice rack. We added a good dose of cumin and chili powder to our recipe along with a good shake of salt and pepper. Don’t be afraid to experiment.
This recipe is amazing. You’ll love it. Your significant other will love it. Heck, even your kids will love it.
Oh, and did I mention it’s FREEZER FRIENDLY? Just follow the instructions listed below.
Black Bean Burritos
- 3 Tbsp Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Red pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Jalapenos, chopped
- 2 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 oz cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 soft taco sized tortillas
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
Add the onion, red pepper, and jalapenos. Cook 3 minutes or until soft.
Stir in the black beans, garlic, green chilies, cumin, and chili powder. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until heated through.
Stir in cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide the mixture between the 6 tortillas. Roll and enjoy.
*To freeze: Once the tortillas have been filled and rolled, wrap in plastic wrap. Store the burritos in a freezer safe bag.
To heat from frozen: Remove plastic wrap. Wrap in a damp paper towel. Heat 1-2 minutes or until warmed through.