This post was updated on by
These tasty black bean burritos are filled with flavor and the perfect addition to your dinner menu! Black beans, onion, red pepper, and garlic combine to give you the perfect plant based protein meal!
I am no stranger when it comes to cooking with black beans. We have been known to toss a cup or two into our breakfast, like in this Huevos Rancheros Casserole, and constantly add the easy protein into our dinners, like this Southwestern Chicken Tin Foil Dinner. What I never realized was that black beans are an excellent source of protein and deserved to be the star of the show.
Let me introduce you to your next meatless Monday recipe:
Delicious Black Bean Burritos
Black Bean Burrito Ingredients:
One of my favorite things about this recipe is how hearty and filling it is. The ingredients are vegetarian and even my pickiest eater flips when I whip this up! Talk about an easy weeknight dinner.
- Olive oil
- Red pepper
- Black beans
- Green chilies
- Chili powder
- Cream cheese
- Salt and pepper
How to rock meatless Monday:
- Pick your protein. We used black beans because it is what we always have on hand, however a good substitute would be tofu or even cooked wild rice.
- Load up your veggies. Since this recipe is super cheesy it’s the perfect opportunity to load in the vegetables. Adding in grilled corn or zucchini would be a fun way to add color to the dish!
- Spices are your friend. Utilize your spice rack. We added a good dose of cumin and chili powder to our recipe along with a good shake of salt and pepper. Don’t be afraid to experiment.
This recipe is amazing. You’ll love it. Your significant other will love it. Heck, even your kids will love it.
Oh, and did I mention it’s FREEZER FRIENDLY? Just follow the instructions listed below.
How to make delicious black bean burritos:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion, red pepper, and jalapenos. Cook 3 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in the black beans, garlic, green chilies, cumin, and chili powder. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir in cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture between the 6 tortillas. Roll and enjoy.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
*To freeze: Once the tortillas have been filled and rolled, wrap in plastic wrap. Store the burritos in a freezer safe bag. To heat from frozen: Remove plastic wrap. Wrap in a damp paper towel. Heat 1-2 minutes or until warmed through.
*To freeze: Once the tortillas have been filled and rolled, wrap in plastic wrap. Store the burritos in a freezer safe bag.
To heat from frozen: Remove plastic wrap. Wrap in a damp paper towel. Heat 1-2 minutes or until warmed through.