Let’s taco ’bout the perfect way to start your day: this breakfast taco! Whether you’re a fan of savory or crave a touch of spice, these handheld delights are sure to satisfy your morning cravings. Picture warm tortillas hugging a filling of fluffy scrambled eggs, crispy bacon or sausage, and a sprinkle of melted cheese.
So, grab a hot cup of coffee and savor the delightful harmony of flavors in every bite. Rise, shine, and taco on, my breakfast enthusiasts! Ps- Try serving these tacos with tomatillo salsa, easy blender salsa, and sour cream for the perfect finish!
Why You’ll Love This Breakfast Taco Recipe
- Quick and Easy: These come together incredibly quick and have a good amount of protein, which means it is the perfect fuel for your day!
- Make Ahead: You can actually make the eggs and toppings ahead of time and keep stored in the refrigerator for an even quicker breakfast!
- Freezer Friendly: You can FREEZE these tacos! That makes these a go-to freezer meal.
While I love a good sweet start to the day, savory breakfasts are my true love. I will abosulstely drop everything I’m doing to meet up for brunch if you tell me it involves eggs and bacon. I can’t resist a fluffy scrambled egg paired with salty bacon. These breakfast tacos, like their cousin the breakfast burrito, are amoung the top made breakfast recipes in our home.
You can stuff these full of all of the best breakfast items like tater tots, bacon, sausage, and so much cheese. Every single bite is like heaven, especially when you load them up with hot sauce. Approved by even my pickiest teen eater, this easy breakfast is about to become a family favorite!
Breakfast Taco Ingredients
You actually don’t need many items to make this filling breakfast recipe. Everything is fairly basic, but the end result is a flavor explosion!
- Eggs: Large eggs. I use 6 eggs for the three of us here in our home. Leftovers store well, so we’re ok with having a little extra.
- Seasonings: Salt and pepper is a simple combination that enhances the flavors of the fillings without overpowering them. That being said, you can always add other seasonings like cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic or onion powder for a tasty addition.
- Milk: My secret ingredient for extra fluffy eggs is whipping in a little milk. Alternatively, you can whisk in some cottage cheese for the same effect with the added bonus of protein.
- Breakfast Meats: Pick your favorite! We like cooked bacon, sausage, and ham. Although, chorizo, chicken, and steak would be equally delicious!
- Cheese: We really like cheddar, monterey jack, or pepper jack cheese.
- Tortillas: You can use either flour or corn tortillas.
- Extra Toppings: Salsa, pico, cilantro, hot sauce, tater tots and avocado are all great options.
How To Make The Best Breakfast Tacos
Remember, the beauty of breakfast tacos lies in their versatility, so feel free to customize and experiment with different fillings, seasonings, and toppings to suit your taste preferences.
- PREP: Prepare any of the breakfast meats according to the package directions. Heat a medium skillet over low/medium heat.
- EGGS: Whisk the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl until combined, about 30 seconds. Add a small amount of butter, or cooking spray, to the skillet. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook, folding the egg frequently, until light and fluffy. This should take 1 to 2 minutes.
- TORTILLAS: Heat the tortillas in a dry skillet over medium heat for a few seconds on each side until they become pliable. Alternatively, you can wrap them in a damp paper towel and warm them in the microwave for a short time.
- ASSEMBLE: Place a portion of the cooked eggs into the warmed tortillas. Add a hefty sprinkle of cheese. Top your breakfast tacos with your favorite toppings, such as salsa, diced avocado, sour cream, chopped herbs, or any other condiments you enjoy.
- Silicone Spatulas: If I can only recommend one kitchen tool, it would be a set of silicone spatulas (affiliate). These are so versatile and used daily in our kitchen. Great for baking AND cooking.
- Cutting Boards: Using a sharp chef knife and a good set of cutting boards (affiliate) will help this recipe come together quickly.
- Airtight Container: Test out this set of bowls with lids (affiliate). Perfect sized and one of my most-used kitchen items!
Breakfast Taco Variations:
When it comes to creative fillings for breakfast tacos, the possibilities are nearly endless! Here are some ideas to inspire your taste buds:
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean: Roasted sweet potatoes, seasoned black beans, diced avocado, and a drizzle of tangy lime crema.
- Mediterranean Twist: Scrambled eggs, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, fresh tomatoes, and a sprinkle of oregano.
- Southwest Fiesta: Scrambled eggs, grilled corn, black beans, diced jalapeños, shredded cheese, and a dollop of chipotle mayo.
- Tex-Mex: Chorizo sausage, scrambled eggs, crispy hash browns, pico de gallo, and a sprinkle of cotija cheese.
- Greek Delight: Tzatziki sauce, gyro meat or grilled chicken, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, and fresh herbs like mint or dill.
- Hawaiian Inspiration: Scrambled eggs, diced ham or Canadian bacon, grilled pineapple chunks, shredded coconut, and a drizzle of sweet teriyaki sauce.
- Veggie Powerhouse: Sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach, caramelized onions, roasted red pepper hummus, and crumbled feta cheese.
Get creative, mix and match flavors, and customize your breakfast tacos to suit your taste preferences. Enjoy the culinary adventure!
Yep! These taste equally delicious with heated flour or corn tortillas.
Yes, you can make breakfast tacos ahead of time to save time in the morning. Prepare the individual components of your breakfast tacos in advance. Cook and season the fillings such as scrambled eggs, sautéed vegetables, and cooked meats. Chop and prepare any toppings or garnishes like cheese, salsa, avocado, or herbs. Store each component separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. In the morning, simply reheat the fillings and assemble your tacos with the desired toppings.
Breakfast tacos can be easily customized with vegetarian or vegan fillings. Here are some ideas for plant-based options: Replace scrambled eggs with seasoned and crumbled tofu sautéed with spices like turmeric, cumin, and nutritional yeast, sautéed mushrooms and wilted spinach create a delicious and nutritious filling, or Replace traditional sausage with plant-based breakfast sausage patties or crumbles for a savory and protein-packed filling.
Yes, you can freeze breakfast tacos for later! Here’s how:
Assemble the breakfast tacos as you normally would. Allow the tacos to cool completely. Individually wrap each taco tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep them airtight and prevent freezer burn. Place the wrapped tacos in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. Store the tacos in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen breakfast tacos:
Remove the desired number of tacos from the freezer. Thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat the tacos in a skillet over medium heat or in the oven at a low temperature until warmed through. Add any fresh toppings or garnishes just before serving.
Easy Breakfast Tacos
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk replace with salsa for more kick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 (6 inch) tortillas
- 8 pieces cooked bacon or cooked breakfast sausage
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- tater tots
- hot sauce
- Prepare any of the breakfast meats according to the package directions.
- Heat a medium skillet over low/medium heat.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add a small amount of butter, or cooking spray, to the skillet. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook, folding the egg frequently, until light and fluffy. This should take 1 to 2 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas in a dry skillet over medium heat for a few seconds on each side until they become pliable. Alternatively, you can wrap them in a damp paper towel and warm them in the microwave for a short time.
- Place a portion of the cooked eggs into the warmed tortillas. Add a hefty sprinkle of cheese.
- Top your breakfast tacos with your favorite toppings, such as salsa, diced avocado, sour cream, chopped herbs, or any other condiments you enjoy.