This edible cookie dough is safe to eat without baking! Made with pantry staples and egg free! Perfect for a quick treat or gift idea!
On the hunt for even more chocolate chip filled treats? Try my Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars.
Years ago, my son was gifted edible cookie dough from one of our favorite eateries. Since then he has begged me to let him eat dough straight from the mixer.
The idea of letting him shovel heaping spoonfuls of raw egg filled dough was this moms worst nightmare. So the answer was always “Maybe next time” or “Just one tiny spoon.”
But when he came to me a few days ago and asked for an edible version, I couldn’t deny him his favorite treat. Thus this edible cookie dough was born. It is rich, chocolate chip filled, and delicious.
Best of all, it contains ingredients that CAN be eaten raw.
Edible Cookie Dough Ingredients:
The ingredients called for are simple pantry staples. Only six super simple ingredients and less than 10 minutes prep time!
- Butter- I recommend salted butter for this recipe. It helps to boost the flavor, but unsalted will work as well.
- Brown Sugar- Classic chocolate chip cookies always call for brown sugar. It adds just a touch of molasses flavor which is key.
- All-Purpose Flour- Regular white flour.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- Half a can, or 7 oz., is all you need. And this recipe makes a BIG batch.
- Vanilla- Always use pure vanilla extract and avoid imitation.
- Chocolate chips- See notes below.
Is eating cookie dough safe?
I would not recommend eating spoonfuls of regular cookie dough. That being said, this recipe is made for eating! The ingredients are all safe for consumption without being baked. However, your waistline might not agree with me.
However, there is a concern for eating raw flour. Check out this resource here for more information on how to make flour safe for eating.
How to make edible cookie dough:
- Add the butter and brown sugar to a mixing bowl. Whisk 2 to 3 minutes, or until combined and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour, sweetened milk, and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and enjoy!
Be sure to keep this stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If stored properly, this cookie dough will last roughly 1 month. You can also freeze this for up to 6 months.
Since we are a smaller family, I like to divide this into three portions. I put one in the refrigerator for us to snack on and the other two in the freezer to pull out at a later time.
Which chocolate chips are better for cookies?
I feel like this question deserves an entire post all on its own. Which chocolate chips are best for baking? The answer is not as simple as it seems. Here is a quick breakdown of the different varieties.
- Classic Semisweet or Milk chocolate: The first to options that come to mind are these. Most people reach for semisweet or milk chocolate chips when baking cookies. This would be the Toll House option, and work amazing in any cookie.
- Bittersweet- Bittersweet chocolate comes in a lower percentage, 62% cacao, which means they have a less sweet and more bitter taste. I personally love the flavor, but it is not loved by all.
- Chocolate Chunks- Big chunks can take your cookies to the next level! They are big and bulky, and when baked into a cookie give you a hefty dose of chocolate.
- Mini- Mini chips are a family favorite and best for this recipe! They disperse throughout your dough well and give you a beautiful amount of chocolate in every bite.
Can you bake edible cookie dough into cookies?
Short answer? No. This recipe does not have the components needed to give you a big fluffy cookie. You would end up with a giant mess on your baking tray.
However, I do have a lot of cookie options that are made just for baking!
More Cookie Recipes:
- The Very Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Copycat Oreo’s
- Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate chip Cookies
- Double Chocolate Cookie Recipe
- Flat and Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies
More Chocolate Chip Recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Easy Chocolate Chip Scones
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chunky Monkey Pancakes
Edible Cookie Dough Recipe- with Chocolate Chips!
- 4 tablespoons butter soft
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 oz half a can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips we prefer mini
- 1. Add the butter and brown sugar to a mixing bowl. Whisk 2 to 3 minutes, or until combined and fluffy.
- 2. Stir in the flour, sweetened milk, and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- 3. Fold in the chocolate chips and enjoy!