This Homemade Fudgesicles recipe is rich, creamy, and full of chocolate flavor. Easily our favorite popsicle recipe of summer and you only need 6-ingredients! One of the best copycat recipes.
- EASY: This recipe is fairly basic and makes the most incredibly delicious chocolate popsicles.
- Minimal ingredients: You only need a handful of basic ingredients that might already be in your kitchen!
- Family Favorite: We fight over these pops when they are in the freezer. Loved by kids AND adults.
There is NOTHING better than an ice cold fudge pop right from the freezer on a hot summer day. This homemade version fell hard into our number 1 spot and, dare I say, outbeat the store bought version in our blind taste test! So easy to make with a creamy finish that is packed with chocolate flavor. You can even make them dairy free!
WHAT ARE FUDGESICLES MADE OF?
- Chocolate Chips: Semi sweet is our prefered, however you can definitely make these with milk chocolate. It will give you a less rich flavor profile, but be equally delicious.
- Brown Sugar: Looking for something lighter? Halve the sugar. You’ll get that same drool worthy chocolate goodness with a lighter sweetness level.
- Cornstarch: A thickener that is key to getting the perfect texture.
- Cocoa Powder: For this recipe specifically, you can use regular cocoa OR, for a more robust flavor, Dutch processed.
- Milk: Dairy milk works great. However, we get way more requests for coconut milk. It’s a nice dairy free option that everyone loves.
- Vanilla: Just a touch to help balance the flavors.
HOW TO MAKE FUDGE POPS
My seven year old has declared these to be one of our must-have treats in the freezer. They are so easy that there is really no reason I would not have them on hand! Next time I make them I am thinking it might be fun to add a little peanut butter for a Reese’s flavor!
- PREP: I always like to measure my ingredients before I get started. It makes the process easy peasy.
- COOK: Add all of the ingredients to a medium saucepan. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture melts and slightly thickens. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- POUR: Pour the mixture into prepared molds.
- FREEZE: Freeze the popsicles for 30 minutes. Remove and add popsicles sticks (this helps the mixture to slightly firm and hold the sticks in place). Place back in the freezer and allow the pops to freeze until solid, roughly 4 to 6 hours.
- ENJOY: Pop your frozen chocolate treat from the mold and enjoy!
One tip, try mixing things up and by using only half of the brown sugar or a dark cocoa powder These easy substitutions can create a brand new flavor that will tickle your taste buds!
- Popsicle Molds: There are hundreds of popsicle molds to pick from, but these ones (affiliate) are my favorite. I love the classic nostalgic look.
- Popsicle Sticks: No popsicle would be complete without the handy wooden stick! (affiliate). Bonus? They are great for all sorts of nostalgic art projects.
- Silicone Spatulas: Probably my number one linked product. Having a set of silicone spatulas (affiliate) is a huge help in the kitchen. Heatproof, helpful scrapers, and just all around handy.
BEST FUDGESICLES RECIPE TIPS
YES! One of our favorite dairy free versions is with coconut milk. Add a touch of vanilla and follow the directions. This makes such a rich and creamy coconut milk fudgesicle that is out of this world delicious.
I have 3 popsicle molds (affiliate) floating around my home. The thing is, I can almost never find them when I need them.
We are big fans of the Dixie cup method when I cannot find my favorite mold.
Pour your pops straight into a Dixie cup.
Freeze 20 minutes.
Add a Popsicle stick and freeze solid.
*Note: Use a baking tray or large plate to keep all of your cups from falling in the freezer.
Other options are:
Ice cube trays
Clean Yogurt Containers
Fill a container with hot water. You want at least enough to cover to the top of your mold without leaking over onto your pop.
Dip your mold into the hot water for 20 seconds.
Slide out your homemade Popsicle and enjoy!
MORE MUST-TRY FROZEN DESSERTS
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium saucepan. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture melts and slightly thickens.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the mixture into prepared molds.
- Freeze the popsicles for 30 minutes.
- Remove and add popsicles sticks (this helps the mixture to slightly firm and hold the sticks in place). Place back in the freezer and allow the pops to freeze until solid, roughly 4 to 6 hours.
- Pop your frozen chocolate treat from the mold and enjoy!