This No-Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake is a summer staple! Fresh berries, store bought pound cake, and whipped topping are all you need for a fruity dessert everyone will love.
- Easy: From start to finish this recipe takes less than 15 minutes to assemble.
- No-Bake Dessert: Using a store bought pound cake makes this super simple to make and no reason to turn on the oven.
- Easy to Customize: Swap the strawberries for your favorite fruit or use fresh whipped cream in place of whipped topping.
The weather is heating up here in Utah and I’m on the hunt for the best treats that don’t require me to turn on the oven. This Strawberry Refrigerator Cake is golden. Minimal prep that leaves you with a surprisingly light cake filled with berry flavor. This no-bake cake is perfect for celebrating any occasion and is sure to become a go-to recipe!
Berry Icebox Cake Ingredients
This is my go-to dessert when I need something fast that’s going to be bakery worthy. It’s incredibly simple with just 5-ingredients and tastes AMAZING. After the ingredients are layered together they get a little chill time in the refrigerator. This allows the fruit and cream to slightly soak into the sponge cake giving you a dessert that slightly resembles strawberry shortcake! Here is what you need to get started:
- Berries: I opted for strawberries, as they are in season, but you can really use any berry that is available. Try this with blueberries or blackberries for a fun twist!
- Jam: Pick a coordinating jam for the filling. I used strawberry, since the base flavor of this cake is strawberry. But this would have been delicious with rhubarb or even lemon!
- Lemon: Just a touch of lemon juice to help brighten the berry flavor.
- Whipped Topping: OR homemade whipped cream. I like to keep things extra simple and didn’t want the hassle of whipping heavy cream so I reached for Cool Whip.
How To Make Strawberry Icebox Cake
- PREP: Thaw the cool whip and slice the pound cake into 3 layers, horizontally (lengthwise). Mix the berries, jam, and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.
- ASSEMBLE: Line the pan the poundcake came in, or a bread pan, with plastic wrap allowing a little to hang over the edge. Place the bottom sheet of cake into the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/2 of the berry mixture over the top of the cake followed by a layer of whipped topping, about 1/3 of the cool whip. Repeat with the second layer of cake.
- TOP: Gently place the top layer onto the cake and spread with the remaining whipped topping. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 to 8 hours.
- SERVE: Before serving, top with additional sliced berries for a finished presentation. Slice vertically and enjoy!
Don’t forget to check out some of my other must-make no bake treats like this Strawberry Cheesecake!
Helpful Recipe Tips
This cake actually tastes BETTER the longer it sits. I recommend putting it together the night before you plan to serve and letting it chill in the refrigerator overnight.
Of course! Try blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries for a fun twist on this strawberry icebox cake.
This cake should be eating within 2 to 3 days of assembling.
MORE MUST-TRY NO BAKE TREATS
- No-Bake Strawberry Cake
- Cookies and Cream Cereal Treats
- No-Bake Cheesecake Bars
- Oreo Cheesecake, No-Bake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- S’more Cereal Treats
Berry Icebox Cake
- 1 16oz pound cake, I use Sara Lee from the freezer section thawed
- 1½ cups sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups whipped topping
- Slice the pound cake into three layers, horizontally.
- Line a bread pan, or the pan the cake comes in, with plastic wrap allowing about 2 inches of overhang.
- To create the fruit filling, lightly mash the berries in a bowl. Stir the jam and lemon juice until combined. Set aside.
- Place the bottom layer of pound cake into the pan.
- Spread half of the fruit mixture over the top of the cake in an even layer.
- Top with 1/3 of the whipped topping.
- Press the middle cake layer on top of the whipped topping and repeat the layers.
- Add the top piece of cake and spread with the remaining 1/3 of the whipped topping.
- Lightly cover and chill for 4-8 hours before serving.