This recipe for easy homemade funfetti cupcakes is a keeper! Made from scratch and better than a box mix! All you need are a few simple ingredients and in minutes you have soft, light, and fluffy cupcakes ready to eat!
I hope you love the products I recommend! Just so you know, One Sweet Appetite may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Homemade cupcakes are my jam. Seriously, I have an entire cookbook all about them! There is something about the cute mini cakes that captured my heart, and my belly. Baking from scratch is easy as pie, as long as you start with a quality recipe like this one!
Funfetti Cake from Scratch
No birthday is complete without this classic cake! Funfetti, also known as confetti cake, is a light and moist yellow cake base that is sprinkled with colorful candies. Once baked you have a rainbow sprinkle effect throughout the cake that makes it the perfect way to celebrate! Top with my classic vanilla buttercream for the perfect flavor combination.
Confetti Cake Ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Egg yolks
- Pure vanilla extract
What sprinkles are best to use in funfetti cake:
THIS is the golden question. While the most important quality is a soft and moist cake, the one stand out feature of this recipe are the sprinkles baked right into the batter. This is what will get you the classic funfetti style cake! So, what are the best sprinkles to use?
- Rainbow Nonpareil’s: These tiny beaded sprinkles are one option. They are a great way to add pops of color and bake beautifully into a cake. Note: You will need to be extremely careful when folding these into the batter. They tend to bleed into the white color of the batter causing streaking.
- Multi color jimmies – These rainbow sprinkles are my personal favorite, and the ones used in this post! They are fairly common, which means you will find them at local grocers, and easy to incorporate.
How to make Funfetti Cupcakes from scratch:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard muffin tins with liners and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium measuring cup. Set aside.
- Add the butter, oil, and sugars in a large bowl. Beat on medium/high speed for three minutes or until fully combined and fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs and yolks, one at a time, until mixed thoroughly. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and buttermilk. Mix the batter on medium/low speed until just combined.
- Fold in sprinkles.
- Divide batter between your prepared pans. Bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
How to keep cupcakes moist:
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting or storing in a container.
- Once cooled, store in an air tight container and not open on the counter.
- Do not store cupcakes in the refrigerator unless your room is above 70 degrees.
How long do cupcakes last?
Homemade cupcakes are best if eaten within 2-3 days. Technically, they will last longer in the refrigerator but you run the risk of them becoming stale.
Tips to make the BEST cupcakes:
- Be sure you use quality ingredients. Do not skimp on the vanilla bean paste, vanilla extract (always use pure NOT imitation), and BUTTER. Flour, baking soda and powder are always ok as “off brand.”
- It is so important that you use room temperature ingredients. This ensures even mixing and a perfect batter.
- Do not over mix your batter. I like to keep my mixer on low/medium speed. This keeps the butter from overheating and the ingredients incorporate evenly.
- Use a scoop for even cupcake sizes. This isn’t necessary but does make it super simple to keep your cupcakes even.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter, soft
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles or jimmies
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard muffin tins with liners and set aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium measuring cup. Set aside.
3. Add the butter, oil, and sugars in a large bowl. Beat on medium/high speed for three minutes or until fully combined and fluffy.
4. Stir in the eggs and yolks, one at a time, until mixed thoroughly. Mix in the vanilla extract.
5. Stir in the dry ingredients and buttermilk. Mix the batter on medium/low speed until just combined.
6. Fold in sprinkles.
7. Divide batter between your prepared pans. Bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
Frost cupcakes with classic vanilla buttercream and top with additional sprinkles.