This post was updated on by
Meatball Sub Tin Foil Dinners
This foil pack recipe for Meatball Sub Tin Foil Dinners is the perfect easy camping recipe! Homemade meatballs are cooked on warm coals, topped with cheese, and placed in a roll for a filling meal!
Homemade meatballs cooked in a tin foil packet with your favorite sauce – Easy and delicious!
This recipe is one of my favorites to take camping. It has minimal ingredients and tastes fantastic. The hardest part is mixing the ingredients for the meatballs, which only takes you about 10 minutes!
I highly suggest making the meatballs ahead of time. They are freezer friendly which means you can make them weeks in advance! When you are ready to head out all you have to do is grab the container and toss it in your cooler.
Serve these meatballs as a sandwich or on top of your favorite pasta. Either way, you will love this classic comfort food recipe!
What do you put in tin foil dinners?
Great question! Really, what CAN’T you put into a tin foil dinner? We have tried a wide variety of vegetables, rice, frozen french fries… Just be sure to check your tin foil dinner while it is cooking regularly and ensuring even cooking.
Quick tips to help you make the best tin foil dinner:
- Use heavy duty foil. The last thing you want when making a tin foil dinner is to have the foil rip and your dinner ending up on the floor.
- Spray with non stick spray. This will help ensure that your potatoes and other starch filled ingredients do not stick to the bottom.
- Line the ingredients that take the longest to cook on the bottom.
- Season well! The great thing about tin foil dinners is that you can add flavor in so many ways. Canned soups are popular, but we like to stick with seasonings. Salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, and fennel salts are all examples of ways you can kick up the flavor.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- Hobo Tin Foil Dinners
- Southwestern Chicken Tin Foil Dinners
- Italian Sausage and Chicken Tin Foil Dinners
One little tip I like to toss out there…
Double up on your foil if you are planning on using it as the container or plate. If you are looking for some great inspiration on what kind of meals to add to your camping menu, make sure to check out my cookbook! Foiled! Easy, Tasty, Tin Foil Meals is packed with great ideas from breakfast to desserts!
- 1/2 lb hamburger
- 1/2 lb sausage
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoon dehydrated onion
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- Line a large cookie sheet with tin foil and lightly mist with non-stick spray.
- Combine the first 11 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until combined. Form into 1 inch balls (I use a small cookie scoop) rolling between your hands to form circles. Place onto your prepared tray.
- Broil until your meatballs are just lightly browned.
- AT HOME COOKING: Place your meatballs in a saucepan. Cover with your favorite spaghetti sauce and simmer for 30 minutes. Place onto the rolls and enjoy.
- IF FREEZING FOR LATER USE: Remove from the oven and when your tray has cooled place in the freezer for twenty minutes. Place your meatballs in a freezer bag and store.
- CAMPING: Create four rectangles of heavy duty foil. Fold up the sides creating a 1 inch rim. Spray your containers with cooking spray and add a bit of sauce to each. Top with your meatballs. Fold up the sides to create your packet. Place your packets onto prepared coals. Cook for 30 minutes making sure to turn a few times.