Elevate your lunch game with a meatball sandwich that’s the stuff of lazy cook’s dreams – because who said extraordinary flavors require an army of ingredients? With just five simple elements and the magic of frozen meatballs, we’re about to turn your regular old sandwich into a culinary mic drop. So, grab your apron (or not, because we’re keeping it seriously stress-free), and let’s whip up a symphony of taste that’ll make you question every boring sandwich you’ve ever settled for.
I received compensation in the form of product to use in an updated version of this recipe. I only share products that I love and truly hope you do too!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Dinner
- 5 Ingredients: Yep, you read that right. Just five very simple ingredients and you’ve got a protein packed dinner that gets the stamp of approval from even the pickiest eater.
- 30 Minute Meal: Ready in under 30 minutes which makes this an ideal weeknight dinner idea.
- Customizable: You can use almost any sauce or cheese.
I am a sucker for a quick dinner idea and these sub sandwiches are on a constant rotation to our menu. They are super quick to prep, easy to assemble, and fill everyone up making it a five star recipe. My picky eater even requests these on repeat, which is shocking since he isn’t a big fan of any sauce.
These sandwiches. The meatballs provide a rich and meaty flavor, while the marinara sauce adds a tangy and slightly sweet note. The melted cheese on top adds creaminess and a touch of saltiness, while the bread provides a comforting and substantial base. It’ll taste like you spent hours prepping in the kitchen but really it will take just minutes.
Meatball Sandwich Ingredients
- Meatballs: Here’s the big secret, I use frozen meatballs about 75% of the time. They are incredibly convenient on busy nights and loaded with protein to keep my family full. HOWEVER, my family also loves a homemade meatball, which are also freezer friendly!
- Sauce: Pick your favorite pasta sauce! There are so many delicious options out there, but we are going to jazz it up a bit with some seasoning additions.
- Seasoning: I currently love using Livia’s (affiliate). It is the perfect combination of salt, pepper, and garlic. The three spices I feel like make everything taste better.
- Bread: Search for sub sandwich rolls in your grocery store. Those work the best holding in all of the meatballs, sauce and cheese.
- Cheese: I opted for an Italian blend cheese. You can use mozzarella and parmesan for a similar mix!
Homemade Meatball Subs
- PREP: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, or foil, for easy cleanup.
- BAKE: Place the meatballs in a single layer on the prepared tray and bake for 20 minutes, or however long the package dictates.
- SAUCE: While the meatballs are cooking, pour the sauce into a pot and season with Livia’s for the perfect boost in flavor. Heat over low/medium heat until simmering. Once the meatballs are done cooking, stir into the sauce.
- ASSEMBLE: Open each sub roll and spoon meatballs into the middle of each roll. Add additional sauce and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
- MELT: Place the assembled sandwiches onto a baking tray and into the oven to let the cheese melt, about five minutes.
- ENJOY: Serve immediately, with extra Livia’s for that perfect finish.
- Baking Trays: I am a big fan of my Nordic Ware pans (affiliate). I have both the half sheet and full pan sizes and they are amazingly easy to clean.
- Silicone Baking Mats: Parchment paper is king in my kitchen, but only when both of my silicone baking mats (affiliate) are dirty. They are SO great for so many things and worth the $13 for a set of 3.
- Silicone Spatulas: If I can only recommend one kitchen tool, it would be a set of silicone spatulas (affiliate). These are so versatile and used daily in our kitchen. Great for baking AND cooking.
Absolutely! While the recipe shines with frozen meatballs, homemade ones add a personal touch.
Any sturdy bread like a baguette, hoagie roll, or ciabatta will hold up well to the meatballs and toppings.
Of course! While the recipe is designed to be minimal, feel free to customize with cheese, herbs, or sauces.
Place the assembled sub under the broiler for a minute or two until the cheese is gooey and golden.
Absolutely! Fresh lettuce, sautéed peppers, or caramelized onions can add layers of texture and flavor.
Prepare the ingredients and assemble just before serving to keep the bread from getting soggy.
Meatball Sub Tin Foil Dinner
- 16 frozen meatballs
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons Livia's Seasoning
- 4 sub or hoagie rolls
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, or foil, for easy cleanup.
- Place the meatballs in a single layer on the prepared tray and bake for 20 minutes, or however long the package dictates.
- While the meatballs are cooking, pour the sauce into a pot and season with Livia’s for the perfect boost in flavor.
- Heat over low/medium heat until simmering. Once the meatballs are done cooking, stir into the sauce.
- Open each sub roll and spoon meatballs into the middle of each roll. Add additional sauce and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
- Place the assembled sandwiches onto a baking tray and into the oven to let the cheese melt, about five minutes.
- Serve immediately, with extra Livia’s for that perfect finish.