This post was updated on by
Quick Lasagna Skillet Dinner. This one-pot dinner is the perfect go-to weeknight meal. Browned sausage, bow tie pasta, and zesty tomato sauce make this the perfect menu addition.
It is comfort food season and I am ready for all of the pasta dishes.
We typically lean toward my lasagna stuffed shell recipe when looking for a good belly warming dinner. It is tasty, loved, and a fan favorite. When I went to the pantry I realized I was all out of the large pasta shells but did have plenty of other options.
Easy Skillet Lasagna Recipe
It is a one-pot version of lasagna that is oh-so easy and just as delicious. I took a tried and true recipe we normally use and made a few small adjustments.
One Pot Lasagna Skillet Ingredients:
- Italian sausage or ground beef- Feel free to use what you have on hand. This recipe is extremely forgiving, which means you can swap this for your favorite meat protein!
- Oil- I reach for EVOO when cooking, but regular vegetable oil would work as well.
- Garlic- I buy a large jar of pre minced garlic at costco. It is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner recipe like this!
- Diced tomatoes- You can find these in the canned tomato aisle of most grocery stores. Feel free to use plain or seasoned tomatoes.
- Tomato sauce- NOT pasta sauce. This is the canned tomato sauce you find next to the tomato paste.
- Sugar- Granulated, or white, sugar.
- Red pepper flakes- These add just a touch of spice, but not too much. My ten year old really enjoys this recipe and is not a spice fan.
- Italian seasoning- Alternatively, you could create your own Italian blend by combining dried basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley, thyme and garlic powder.
- Salt and Pepper
- Pasta- You could easily substitute other pasta varieties for the bow tie. We like this version simply because it appeals to my little six year old. A penne or ziti might be fun.
- Mozzarella or ricotta – The cheese is for topping. Use what you enjoy.
You could also get creative and swap the meat used. I like to use Italian sausage but we have been known to use ground hamburger in a pinch.
How to make skillet lasagna with bow tie pasta:
Heat your oil in a large skillet. Add you sausage and cook until browned. Add the garlic and cook one minute more.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and pasta. Pour the water over the top and cover.
Simmer 20-25 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
Top with mozzarella and/or ricotta before serving.
More Skillet Dinner Ideas:
More Lasagna Recipes: