This super simple Rainbow Fruit Platter is the perfect treat for all ages. Made with fresh fruit and served with a side of fluffy fruit dip. Customizable and an easy way to want to eat more fruit.
- Easy: If you can wash fruit, you can make this fruit platter. So simple and most can be prepared in advance!
- Cheaper than Store Bought: If you find fruit on sale, you can save almost half of the cost of a premade tray! This tray that is photo’d lasted an entire week!
- Make it Mini: No need to go big. If you want a single serve version just scale down! We make these every summer on a weekly basis.
I LOVE this idea. Is it mine? No. I started doing this almost 14 years ago for St Patrick’s day for my kid after seeing a friend post to Facebook. He looks forward to his morning fruit spread every year, and we have even opted to serve this in mini form year round. Anytime we’re in the mood for a beautiful serving of fruit, we bust out the rainbow display!
Now, fruit is delicious all on its own. But you know what sends rainbow fruit over the top? Marshmallow fruit dip. Long lasting and tastes like cheesecake, you just can’t go wrong!
Fruit Platter Ingredients
Here’s the beauty of this recipe. You can follow how I made it OR you can use whatever fruits your family loves. I put together a list of options that will help you build the perfect board.
- Red: Strawberries, cherries, raspberries, red apples, pomegranate seeds or watermelon
- Orange: Oranges (I used mandarin), apricots, cantaloupe or mangos
- Yellow: Pineapple, banana, mango or golden delicious apples
- Green: Apples, grapes, honeydew or kiwi
- Blue: Blueberries are king here. You can also opt for concord grapes
- Purple: Blackberries, grapes, or plums
How To Build A Fruit Tray
- PREP: Wash and dry the fruit you plan to use. Cut any fruits that need the peel removed.
- LAYER: Arrange the fruit on the serving platter, starting on the outer edge, in the following color order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple.
- DIP: Make the dip by combining the marshmallow fluff, softened cream cheese, orange zest, and vanilla extract into a mixing bowl. Whip for 1 to 2 minutes, or until combined and fluffy. Transfer to serving bowls and add to the serving plate.
- White Serving Tray: I like my white round serving platter (affiliate) and use it for so many things. That being said, this separated tray (affiliate) would also be awesome!
- Hand Mixer: Can you stir this by hand? Yes, but it is so much easier to use a stand or hand mixer (affiliate). It helps everything to come together in minutes and mixes it perfectly.
- Silicone Spatulas: If I can only recommend one kitchen tool, it would be a set of silicone spatulas (affiliate). These are so versatile and used daily in our kitchen. Great for baking AND cooking.
Because certain fruits can start to brown once exposed to air, I’ve found that quickly brushing or dipping them in lemon juice helps to slow the process. This works well with apples and bananas.
Technically, yes. However, I find that it is best to make the tray the day you plan to eat it. This helps keep the fruit fresh and from becoming soggy.
If you need to prepare the day before, keep to the citrus fruits and melons. Those can be washed and cut up to 24 hours in advance.
The best way to store leftovers is to divide the fruit into their own airtight containers or zip top bags. Keep stored inside the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
The fruit dip should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and eaten within 5 days.
Rainbow Fruit Platter
For the Fruit Tray
- Green apples
For the Fruit Dip
- 1 (8oz) cream cheese softened
- 1 (7oz) marshmallow fluff
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- Wash and dry the fruit you plan to use. Cut any fruits that need the peel removed.
- Arrange the fruit on the serving platter, starting on the outer edge, in the following color order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple.
- Make the dip by combining the marshmallow fluff, softened cream cheese, orange zest, and vanilla extract into a mixing bowl.
- Whip for 1 to 2 minutes, or until combined and fluffy.
- Transfer to serving bowls and add to the serving plate.