This simple Guacamole Recipe combines fresh ingredients for the perfect side dish! The secret is ripe avocado and a hefty splash of lime juice!
Mexican food has a special place in my heart. I can eat tacos or enchiladas every day for the rest of my life and be completely happy. Especially if I have a great simple guacamole recipe to go along with the meal.
My father in-law works for an avocado company so we have always been super lucky to get the best guacamole on the planet.
Those packets he sent were mixed with one or two ripe avocados and the results were the best tasting dip. Unfortunately, moving out east has made it a little harder to get my hands on those wonderful mixes.
That is where this recipe has come in handy. After messing with the ingredient combination we have finally found one that works well for our tastes!
Try this with some of those yummy pita chips I posted yesterday, or any good ol’ tortilla chip. We love it on top of chicken tacos or burritos.
The kid always cleans his plate when we serve it as a side dish or snack, and I don’t feel too terrible about letting him enjoy an extra spoonful. It is on the healthier end as far as snacks go.
How to pick the best avocados:
- Check the color. Dark avocados tend to be more ripe than lighter shades.
- Put gentle pressure with your finger on the avocado. A ripe and ready avocado should give under the pressure.
- Don’t forget to check for bruising!
We tend to pick avocados that are a little more firm but still give under pressure. These last 1-2 days.
Tip for keeping guacamole from turning brown before serving:
If you want to make this in advance, we have had success storing it in an air tight container with a thin layer of water across the top. Slowly drain the water and stir before serving. It keeps things from turning brown and doesn’t add too much moisture to the dip.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 3 avocados, ripe
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Slightly mash your avocado in a medium sized bowl. Mix in the remaining ingredients and enjoy! Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator if you have any leftovers.