Chunky Monkey PancakesJuly 17, 2013
Health conscious parents look away…These chunky monkey pancakes will put me on the top of the “Best Mom Awards,” but probably on the bottom of the “Best Parent Awards.”
Yes… They are loaded with chocolate… covered in chocolate syrup… and contain sugar… BUT they do have banana’s in them! That has to count for something, right? Let’s face it, sometimes you just have to give in and make something delicious and comforting for breakfast.
- 1 C. flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 T. sugar
- 3/4 C. buttermilk
- 3 T. melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas, diced
- 1/2 C. mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 C. chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat.
- Whisk together the flour, powder, soda, salt, and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and butter. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Fold in the bananas, chocolate chips, and pecans.
- Pour the batter onto the griddle. (I use a 1/4 C. measuring cup per each cake). Cook until the sides are slightly browned and the pancake starts to form little bubbles on the top. Flip and cook until browned.
- Serve warm with butter and syrup, or for a little extra kick add chocolate syrup
recipe adapted from All Recipes
These are true kid pleasers. Dax inhaled his in record time, which is impressive considering bananas are on the top of his “I REALLY HATE THOSE” list. It probably had something to do with the chocolate chips and syrup hiding the flavor. These are definitely NOT going to be every day pancakes…
While they went over great with my four year old, I felt the chocolate chips were an overkill. Next time I’ll cook half of the batter first before adding them in.