These Easy Chocolate Cupcakes are packed with chocolate flavor. Made with a moist chocolate cake and topped with a fudge frosting that will quickly become your new favorite.
Can’t get enough chocolate? Me either! Try adding some of my favorites to your menu like my Chocolate Waffles, Best Ever Chocolate Cake, and Baked Chocolate Cake Donuts (a fan favorite).
- Family Favorite: This is a go-to for parties and everyday sweet fixes.
- Bakery Worthy: This recipe is delicious as-is, but you can add even more chocolate flavor by including a chocolate ganache filling.
- Freezer Friendly: These cupcakes freeze amazingly well. You can keep them stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
I loooooooooove me a good dessert. Especially cupcakes! IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, I actually wrote an entire book on the subject!! You can check it out here!
But we aren’t here to talk about the book. We are here to ogle over these insanely decedent double chocolate cupcakes! They are a tried and true cupcake recipe, most requested at birthdays, and so hard to resist! A moist chocolate cake is topped with a fudge frosting giving you the ultimate chocolate duo!
EASY CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
What makes these the best chocolate cupcakes from scratch? The ingredients. Here is what you will need to whip up a batch:
- Flour– All-purpose will do the trick for this recipe!
- Baking soda– Light and puffy cupcakes get their airy texture thanks to this ingredient. Be sure to check the expiration date of your baking soda to ensure you use the freshest ingredients.
- Salt– Salt is added to the cake to elevate the flavor ever so slightly.
- Butter– Soft, but not too soft, is key. I take my butter out of the refrigerator 20 to 30 minutes before I am ready to bake.
- Brown Sugar– I like to use brown sugar. However, you could substitute this with granulated sugar if needed.
- Eggs– Large eggs at room temperature are the best to use in this recipe. Having room temperature ingredients is key to helping them incorporate smoothly.
- Vanilla Extract– Be sure to use pure vanilla extract, not imitation.
- Unsweetened Chocolate– Cocoa powder is replaced with unsweetened chocolate in this cake. You can find it in the baking aisle.
- Sour Cream– Sour cream adds moisture and a slight tang that pairs perfectly with the chocolate flavor!
- Coffee– Hot coffee is the secret ingredient to this cake. The coffee helps to enhance the chocolate flavor giving it the boost it needs to send it over the edge. It does NOT add coffee flavor. However, if you really do not want to use this, you could use just hot water.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- PREP: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside for later.
- MIX: Whip up the batter by first whisking the dry ingredients in a small bowl. In a larger mixing bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar at medium speed until it is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate. Stir in the dry ingredients with the sour cream and coffee. Mix until the batter comes together and the dry ingredients are fully incorporated, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- SCOOP: Spoon or scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling each liner 2/3 full with the batter.
- BAKE: Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the pan and cool completely before frosting.
- FROST: Spread or pipe the frosting onto the cool cupcakes and enjoy!
Looking for even more ways to get your chocolate fix? Be sure to try my Chocolate Crinkle Cookies and
Spicy Chocolate Cupcakes!
- Cupcake Liners: I’m a big fan of neutral cupcake liner (affiliate) colors. I feel like the star of the show should be the cake itself, but you can find dozens of color options (affiliate).
- Scoop: I’m obsessed with my cookie scoop (affiliate). I use it for cookies BUT I also use it to evenly fill cupcake liners. This ensures perfect sized cupcakes every single time.
MORE MUST-TRY CUPCAKE RECIPES
- Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream
- Funfetti Cupcakes
- Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
- Lucky Charm Cupcakes
Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting or storing in a container.
Once cooled, store in an air tight container and not open on the counter.
Do not store cupcakes in the refrigerator unless your room is above 70 degrees.
Homemade cupcakes are best if eaten within 2-3 days. Technically, they will last longer in the refrigerator but you run the risk of them becoming stale.
Yes. You can prepare these cupcakes up to 2-3 days before you plan to serve. Bake and keep stored at room temperature in a tightly sealed container. Frost the cupcakes just before serving and enjoy.
Be sure you use quality ingredients. Do not skimp on the vanilla bean paste, vanilla extract (always use pure NOT imitation), and BUTTER. Flour, baking soda and powder are always ok as “off brand.”
It is so important that you use room temperature ingredients. This ensures even mixing and a perfect batter.
Do not over mix your batter. I like to keep my mixer on low/medium speed. This keeps the butter from overheating and the ingredients incorporate evenly.
Use a scoop for even cupcake sizes. This isn’t necessary but does make it super simple to keep your cupcakes even.
MORE MUST-TRY CUPCAKE RECIPES
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2-1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 3/4 cup butter soft
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup hot fudge topping
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the CAKE:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with paper wrappers.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and sour cream. Fold in the coffee.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the FROSTING:
- Whisk together the butter, cocoa, and powdered sugar. Stir in the cream, fudge topping, and vanilla extract. Whip until fluffy and spreading consistency.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Comments & Reviews
Fatema rahman says
Looks very delicious but can you please share the hot fudge recipe. Thanks.
It actually makes my mouth water just wanting to lick that spoon. These look delicious. I have always been a fan of cupcakes as my mother is an avid baker. so glad they are now so popular…although thats another inch on the hips.