This easy recipe from mint chocolate cupcakes is the perfect from-scratch cake recipe! Filled with mint ganache and topped with chocolate mint buttercream.
Ready for the perfect pairing of mint and chocolate? The flavor of this cupcake reminds me so much of a Thin Mint cookie. Be prepared to have your mind blown!
This from-scratch mint chocolate cupcakes recipe uses my favorite chocolate cupcake base, is filled with a mint ganache, and topped with the most incredible chocolate mint buttercream recipe!
- From-Scratch Cupcake
- Freezer Friendly
- Easy Decoration Ideas
What You Need:
Here is the deal. I start every cupcake recipe with one basic cupcake flavor. In this case, chocolate. Having a standard go-to chocolate cupcake recipe is key for creating these fun flavor combos.
For the Cupcakes:
A few notes here. You can definitely substitute regular cocoa for the dark, but it makes a world of difference. Also, there are some recipes where the switch isn’t that easy. It just happens to work for this cake.
- All-purpose flour
- Dutch (dark) cocoa powder
- Salt and baking soda
- A single chocolate bar
- Eggs, oil, vanilla
- Sour cream
- Coffee or hot water
For the Filling and Frosting
Of course these chocolate cupcakes with mint frosting are insanely delicious as is- but I took it a step further and created a chocolate mint filling!
- Chocolate chips- I recommend semi sweet
- Heavy cream
- Mint extract
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes From Scratch:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat with the paddle attachment at medium speed until incorporated.
- Stir in the melted 2 oz chocolate. Mix until it is smooth. Add the eggs and egg yolks followed by the oil and vanilla.
- Fold in the dry ingredients followed by the sour cream and water.
- Divide the dough into your prepared liners, filling 3/4 full. Bake 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
Add each cooled mint chocolate cupcakes with filling to the middle. Top with the mint chocolate buttercream.
How to Make Cupcakes Moist and Fluffy
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting or storing in a container.
- Once cooled, store in an air tight container and not open on the counter.
- Do not store cupcakes in the refrigerator unless your room is above 70 degrees.
- It is so important that you use room temperature ingredients. This ensures even mixing and a perfect batter.
- Do not over mix your batter. I like to keep my mixer on low/medium speed. This keeps the butter from overheating and the ingredients incorporate evenly.
- Use a scoop for even cupcake sizes. This isn’t necessary but does make it super simple to keep your cupcakes even.
- I have an entire post that walks you through how to easily fill a cupcake. This will come in super handy!
Chocolate Mint Cupcakes from a Cake Mix
In a rush and need something super quick? You can make these chocolate cupcakes with mint frosting from a cake mix! A few simple tips and you can have a boxed cake mix taste like a bakery version in no time.
- Start with a deviled food cake mix.
- Add 1 small box of chocolate pudding powder.
- Substitute sour cream for the water.
- 3 large eggs
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
- A dash of espresso powder can do wonders!
Try those tips to give some pizzazz to your cakes.
- Chocolate Mint Layered Brownies
- Homemade Peppermint Patties Candy
- Easy Mint Chocolate Ice Cream- No Churn!
- Mint Chocolate Brownie Brittle
For the Ganache
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate, cut into pieces if using bars
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa Dutch cocoa powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 oz chocolate, melted*
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup coffee or water
For the Frosting:
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
For the Ganache:
1. Place the chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Add the extract.
2. Heat the cream until just simmering. Pour over the chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes.
3. Stir until smooth and set aside.
For the Cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
2. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
3. Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat with the paddle attachment at medium speed until incorporated.
4. Stir in the melted 2 oz chocolate. Mix until it is smooth. Add the eggs and egg yolks followed by the oil and vanilla.
5. Fold in the dry ingredients followed by the sour cream and water.
6. Divide the dough into your prepared liners, filling 3/4 full. Bake 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool completely.
For the Frosting:
1. Add the butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed with the paddle attachment for 2 minutes.
2. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the cocoa powder and powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and stir until combined.
3. Stir in the salt, extracts, and creams until just combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
4. Turn the speed of the mixer to low/medium. Allow the frosting to be stirred for 5 to 7 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
1. Remove the center of the cooled cupcakes.
2. Add a heaping spoonful of the chocolate mint filling to each.
3. Top with the chocolate buttercream.
I use regular chocolate bars for this cupcake recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 5g