This chocolate cake donut recipe gives you a soft and moist treat! Dipped in a chocolate ganache and topped with chocolate sprinkles – this is the perfect baked chocolate donut.
Why you’ll love this Cake Donut recipe
- Double Chocolate Donut: With a chocolate cake base AND chocolate ganache, this donut is approved by all chocolate lovers.
- Fun for Dessert OR Breakfast: I mean, we eat it for both.
- Baked Not Fried: Which means you have less mess and easier cleanup!
It is well known around my family that I am not much of a chocolate fan. I would much rather reach for something packed with citrus or maybe even a slice of cheesecake. There are, however, two exceptions to this no-chocolate rule:
2. Chocolate Dunford Donuts
Since I already have several versions of brownies that I am in love with, I figured it was time I tried my hand at a copycat donut. This recipe produces a rich chocolate cake donut that is light and unbelievably delicious. When dipped in a homemade chocolate ganache they are irresistible.
Baked Cake Donut Recipe Ingredients
My seven year old declared these the greatest donuts in all of the land! Disclaimer? He loves anything chocolate and has a hard time staying objective, but I have to agree. This is the perfect baked donut recipe.
For a full list of ingredients and measurements see the recipe card below.
- All-purpose flour
- Dark cocoa powder- Also known as Dutch cocoa.
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Be sure to use fresh leavening agents to ensure a light and fluffy donut.
- Chocolate Chips- Semi sweet!
How to make Chocolate Donuts – step by step instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist two donut pans (affiliate) with cooking spray and set aside for later use.
- Stir together the flour. cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk (affiliate) the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted butter in a large measuring cup. Pour into your dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon your batter into a large Ziploc or reusable piping bag (affiliate). Cut the corner with scissors and pipe into your prepared pans until 1/2 full. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the glaze: combine the chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup, and water in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between sessions, until melted. Dip your donuts and sprinkle with chocolate jimmies.
I decided to go with the baked chocolate donut vs fried. This variety is more cake like and perfect for our morning treat. We dipped them in a sweet chocolate ganache that was the absolute perfect finishing touch.
How to make glaze for this Baked Cake Donut Recipe
- Add chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup, and water in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat until the chips are melted and the glaze is smooth.
- Dip your donuts and let them set until firm.
Helpful tools for this Chocolate Cake Donut recipe
Baking donuts is a quick and easy if you have the right tools. Here are a few items we suggest using while making this recipe:
- Donut pan (affiliate)- If you want that classic donut shape you will want to use a donut pan (affiliate). We like this one (affiliate). It is non stick and comes in a set of two which is ideal for this recipe that makes half a dozen donuts!
- Zip top bags- You can always spoon the batter into the prepared pans, but a zip top bag makes it much easier. We use a gallon size, fill with batter, and snip the corner. From there you can easily pipe the batter into the round circles of the donut pan.
Chocolate Cake Donut storage
To properly store chocolate cake donuts and maintain their freshness, make sure you keep them stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you expect the donuts to last longer than a day or two, storing them in the refrigerator can help prolong their freshness. Again, place them in an airtight container or bag to prevent them from drying out. Remember that refrigeration can cause the donuts to become slightly denser, but they will still be enjoyable.
Chocolate Cake Donut Recipe FAQs
Overall, cake donuts have a distinct texture, flavor, and preparation method that sets them apart from yeast donuts. They offer a delightful, slightly denser bite and can be customized with various flavors and toppings to cater to different preferences.
Cake donuts, at least this recipe, is traditionally baked. However, there are cake donuts that are fried. Whether you choose to fry or bake cake donuts is a matter of personal preference. Both methods can produce delicious results, and it’s up to you to decide which cooking technique suits your taste and dietary preferences.
Old-fashioned donuts often have a slightly richer flavor due to the inclusion of ingredients like butter or shortening. They may have hints of nutmeg or other spices. Cake donuts, as the name suggests, have a taste reminiscent of cake, with a tender and moist crumb. The flavors can vary depending on the additions like vanilla, chocolate, or other flavorings.
More Donut Recipes
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- Copycat Krispy Kreme Donuts
- Apple Cider Donuts
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- Cookie Butter Donut Bites
- Maple Bacon Donuts
- Grilled Cheese Donut Sandwich
Chocolate Baked Cake Donut Recipe
For the Donut:
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist two donut pans with cooking spray and set aside for later use.
- 2. Stir together the flour. cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 3. Whisk the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted butter in a large measuring cup. Pour into your dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- 4. Spoon your batter into a large Ziploc. Cut the corner with scissors and pipe into your prepared pans until 1/2 full. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 5. For the glaze combine the chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup, and water in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between sessions, until melted. Dip your donuts and sprinkle with chocolate jimmies.