Make your own rich and creamy Homemade Chocolate Syrup with this easy recipe! All you need is cocoa powder, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract!
Stop the presses. My toddler actually asked me for chocolate milk politely!
This NEVER happens, so of course I run to the refrigerator to whip him up a glass.
Enter silent scream here…
We were out of chocolate milk mix.
I glanced over at his angelic little face and knew that I had to do something. A quick check of the pantry led me to the cocoa powder.
I rolled up my sleeves and got to work. The end result? This amazing recipe.
Easy Chocolate Syrup Recipe
With just four ingredients, and five minutes of my time, I was able to make the most incredible chocolate syrup recipe.
It tastes dreamy.
I had no idea a homemade syrup was such and easy recipe. It tastes exactly like the syrup you purchase at the store only better.
You know… Because it is made with love.
Chocolate syrup ingredients:
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Whole milk
- Vanilla extract
The thing with this recipe is that you are only using FOUR ingredients which means you need to use quality product.
I am not saying you need to spend an insane amount of money on cocoa but do not buy the off brand.
Same goes for the extract. Make sure you splurge and spend the extra $1 on Pure Vanilla Extract (off brands are ok here since it is hard to mess this one up).
If you compare pure to it is imitation counterpart you will notice a big difference.
How to make homemade chocolate syrup:
- Combine cocoa powder, milk, and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and allow it to simmer for 1-2 minutes, or just until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in pure vanilla extract.
This syrup is ideal for serving on ice cream, making chocolate milk, or inside a milkshake! The possibilities are endless.
How long does homemade chocolate syrup last?
Two weeks, if stored properly. After that it is best to remake a new batch.
How to make Chocolate Syrup
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1-2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk together your cocoa, milk, and sugar in a medium sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat making sure to whisk continuously.
- Boil 1 minute or until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Chill.