These soft and moist carrot cake cupcakes are made completely from scratch! Real carrots are grated and the sweet cake is topped with cream cheese frosting!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Ya’ll… These carrot cake cupcakes are about to change your life. They. Are. AMAZING.
I am not a super big carrot lover, but when you mix those crazy veggies into your favorite cake batter and top it with a sweet cream cheese frosting… There is just something about them that is irresistible.
The carrots add moisture and flavor that pairs beautifully with the nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon.
It is an all-around perfect cupcake recipe!
How do you grate carrots for cake?
This is a very important step to consider before making your batter. In a pinch, you can purchase pre-shredded carrots in the produce department of your grocery store. However, we get the best results when we shred our own. Follow these easy steps.
- Use a peeler to remove the outside of each carrot.
- Use the smallest holes in your cheese grater and carefully move the carrot along the grater until you have enough carrot shredded for your needs.
Alternatively, you can use a food processor.
How long do carrot cake cupcakes last?
If stored properly, homemade cupcakes will last 1 to 2 days at room temperature. Since these are topped with cream cheese frosting I highly suggest you follow the next suggestion.
Does cream cheese frosting need to be refrigerated?
Yes. It is suggested that any cake topped with cream cheese frosting should be refrigerated. Be sure to pull your cupcakes out of the refrigerator one hour before serving.
I make these cupcakes for almost every big holiday.
They are a crowd pleaser and incredibly simple to whip up. I occasionally substitute the oil for applesauce.
This quick substitute gives them a slightly healthier finish with the same moist and decadent taste.
What is the best frosting for carrot cake?
There are so many amazing options to pair with this cake. It is very versatile but here are a few of our favorite frostings to compliment the carrot flavor:
- 2½ cups flour
- 1¼ t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1¼ t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. grated nutmeg
- 1/8 t. ground cloves
- ½ t. salt
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 1 cupcake tins with paper liners and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Toss the carrots in your flour mixture.
- Add the sugars and eggs to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse until foamy.
- Slowly drizzle the oil in and mix well.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until no flour can be seen.
- Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting.
We like to frost these cupcakes with classic cream cheese frosting