This post was updated on by
Overnight Cinnamon Rolls. Prepping you cinnamon rolls the night before saves time when you are ready to serve! This family favorite recipe is the perfect way to add a little sweet to your breakfast menu.
The one thing I have always struggled with is the time it takes to make this treat. Making the dough, letting it rise, waiting… It can add up. Doing a little prep the night before makes this the ideal recipe for impatient people like me. The hardest part really is remembering to take them out of the refrigerator. You want to make sure they get to room temp before you bake.
Easy Overnight Cinnamon Rolls
Overnight Cinnamon Roll Ingredients:
- Yeast- Active dry yeast is key to a fluffy light roll dough. You will want to make sure that the yeast has been stored properly and is not passed the expiration date.
- Warm Water- If the water is too cold it will not activate the yeast. If the water is too hot it will kill it before it has a chance to do its job. You want the water to be warm enough that you could stick your finger in it and leave it for a few seconds without it being too warm.
- Milk- Room temperature is key! Cold milk will mess with the yeast process so make sure you heat the milk slightly.
- Sugar- Granulated sugar, or classic white sugar, is added to the dough to give it a slightly sweet dough.
- Butter- Remove your butter from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you are ready to start the dough to help it soften slightly.
- Salt- Salt is a flavor enhancer added to most baked goods to help boost each flavor profile.
- Eggs- Large eggs should be used at room temperature.
- All-purpose flour- Classic white flour. You can find this in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
What is cinnamon roll filling made of?
After the dough, the filling of a homemade cinnamon roll is the next crucial part! Butter helps bind together brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread this out on your dough after the first rise and wait for the magic to happen. As it bakes, the brown sugar and butter melt together slightly caramelizing. It is dreamy.
How to make cinnamon rolls the night before:
Sprinkle your yeast over your water in a small bowl. Set aside and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes.
Combine the milk, sugar, butter, salt, and egg in the bowl of an electric mixer. Stir to combine. Add 2 cups of flour and stir until fully incorporated. Stir in the yeast mixture. Add the remaining flour and knead 5-10 minutes or until smooth.
Transfer your dough to a greased bowl. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise until doubled in size (1-2 hours).
Turn your dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 15×9 inch rectangle. Spread 1/2 cup soft butter across the dough. Whisk together the brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over your butter. Roll, starting on the long end, to form a large log. Cut into 15 pieces.
Place your rolls into a lightly greased 9×13 pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning place the cinnamon rolls in the oven without turning it on. Let them come to room temperature and slightly rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
Bake 25 minutes or until slightly browned.
Whisk together the frosting ingredients and spread over the top. Serve along side your favorite breakfast recipes.
More Sweet Roll Recipes:
More Cinnamon Recipes
- Honey Cinnamon Butter
- Snickerdoodle Blondies
- Peach Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting
- Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
- Apple Cinnamon Jelly