These are easily the WORLDS BEST Cinnamon Rolls. Easy to make and perfect every single time. Soft, fluffy, and chewy perfections.
Oh. My. Goodness.
I have been searching high and low for the BEST cinnamon roll recipe and have finally found it! The dough is soft and sweet, the filling is gooey and filled with butter, and the frosting is smooth and silky.
All qualities I look for in the perfect cinnamon roll recipe!
- Better than Cinnabon: I know, big claim. But it’s true! These are insanely delicious and no-fail!
- Make Ahead: You can make this recipe all the way through the second proof. Cover and pop them in the refrigerator. In the morning you have rolls ready for the oven!
- Freezer Friendly: You can FREEZE THIS RECIPE for up to 6 weeks!
What You’ll Need:
This Giant Fluffy Cinnamon Roll Recipe is made with some of the most common items found in your pantry! That means you could already have everything you need to make this easy pastry recipe! Here is a quick list for reference:
- Active dry yeast – Check the date!
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
For a full list of ingredients and measurements see the recipe card below.
Step By Step Instructions:
- Proof the yeast: Place the warm water and yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the yeast has bloomed.
- Make the dough: Add the paddle attachment to your mixer and stir in the sugar, salt, buttermilk, egg, and oil. Mix until incorporated. Add two cups of the flour to the yeast mixture. Continue to stir on low speed until the flour is smooth. Add remaining flour until incorporated to the dough.
- Knead: Switch to the paddle attachment and knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes or until it is smooth.
- Rise: Place the dough into a greased bowl, turning once, and cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap. Allow to rise until doubled in size (about an hour and a half to two hours).
- Build the rolls: Punch down the dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 20×30 rectangle. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar filling. Roll, starting at the long end, and slice into 12-15 pieces.
- Bake: Let the rolls rest and rise a second time, until doubled in size. Bake for 20 minutes.
Tips and FAQs:
The secret to successful cinnamon rolls is quality ingredients. Be sure to use fresh yeast to ensure proper rising and fresh brown sugar for a soft and gooey filling.
What makes this the BEST Cinnamon Roll Recipe:
The ingredients in this recipe are similar to other recipes floating around the internet, so what makes this one the best?
Easy, the soft and fluffy dough and incredibly gooey filling. I have made dozens of versions but none surpass this sweet roll. It has double the filling of the typical recipe and is topped with a silky smooth and sweet buttercream frosting.
Even my ten year old, who is a self proclaimed cinnamon roll connoisseur, gives these five stars!
How to make overnight cinnamon rolls:
Another reason this recipe is so great? You can start it the night before! Here is how you can turn this awesome cinnamon roll recipe into overnight sweet rolls:
- Make the recipe through step 4 of the filling.
- Place the sliced rolls into a greased 9×13 pan. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, remove the cinnamon rolls and allow sit for one hour.
- Bake as directed.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- Orange Sweet Rolls
- Overnight Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Roll Waffles
- Blueberry Sweet Rolls
- Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
- Cinnamon Honey Butter
- Cinnamon Crunch Granola
The Best Cinnamon Roll Recipe- Made from scratch!
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk room temperature
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1-1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 oz cream cheese soft
- 3 tablespoons butter soft
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
For the dough:
- 1. Place the warm water and yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the yeast has bloomed (foamy on the top of the water).
2. Add the paddle attachment to your mixer. Stir in the sugar, salt, milk, egg, and oil. Mix until incorporated.
3. Add two cups of the flour to the yeast mixture. Continue to stir on low speed until the flour is smooth.
4. Add remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, until incorporated to the dough. Stop at 4 cups and check the doughs texture. You want it to be soft but not sticky to the touch.
5. Switch to the paddle attachment and knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes on low/medium speed or until it is smooth.
6. Place the dough into a greased bowl, turning once, and cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap. Allow to rise until doubled in size (about an hour and a half to two hours).
7. Punch down the dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 20×30 rectangle.
- 1. Add the melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
2.Use a spoon to spread onto the rolled out dough square, leaving 1/2 inch edge on all sides.
3. Roll the dough into a log, starting on the long edge.
4. Slice into 1-1/2 inch cinnamon rolls.
5. Grease a 9×13 dish and place your rolls swirl side up. Cover with a clean towel or plastic and allow to rest until doubled in size (typically about an hour).
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake 20 minutes, checking at 15, or until the edges are just slightly browning.
- 1. Combine the cream cheese with the soft butter. Whip until both are incorporated fully, about 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Add the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, along with the milk. Whisk until smooth.
3. Spread onto your warm cinnamon rolls and enjoy.
Pin for later: