This easy Sour Cream Sugar Cookie Recipe has the perfect balance of sweetness with the added tang of lemon. Perfect topped with a cream cheese frosting or dipped in chocolate! Freezer friendly and perfect for the holidays!
This recipe is one of my favorites.
My husband introduced these little gems back when we were dating. The small box he dropped into my office quickly disappeared and left me daydreaming for the day when I would get my hands on that sugar cookie recipe!
His mom generously passed it on to me and it has been a staple here for as long as I can remember.
Whenever we have a rainy day, and a stir crazy kid, we whip up a batch and let him decorate to his hearts content.
Pipe your favorite frosting using a closed star tip and you can easily create a dozen edible roses for that special someone this Valentines day!
Or use a heart shaped cutter and dip half into melted chocolate.
The lemon extract gives these a unique taste that is slightly addicting, but if you prefer to stick to a more traditional route you can use vanilla or almond extract in its place. Or raspberry… or orange… The possibilities are endless!
Tips for making perfect sugar cookies:
- Do not over mix your dough. I always keep my mixer on the 1 or 2 speed setting while mixing all of the ingredients.
- Roll your dough slightly thicker for soft and chewy cookies or thinner for a more crisp sugar cookie.
- Roll your dough out onto a silicone baking mat. Cut out your shapes and remove the excess dough. Bake as directed. This eliminates the need to transfer your cut cookies helping them keep their shape!
How to freeze sugar cookies:
Follow the directions of the recipe all the way through baking. Place your cookies into a zip top bag once cooled. Label and freeze. Frozen cookies will last up to three months if stored properly.
How to make sugar cookies:
- 3-1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until light. Stir in the egg, extract, sour cream, and dry ingredients.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll 1/4 inch thick. Cut using your desired shape. Place on the baking tray and cook for ten minutes or until the edges are just lightly browning.