This Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe is the perfect fall or winter comfort food. Filled with tender bites of beef and flavor that is rich and hearty.
Try serving this delicious crock pot recipe with biscuits, cornbread, or mashed potatoes.
- Crock Pot Dinner: Nothing beats the ease of tossing ingredients into a crockpot and letting it slow cook all day.
- Large Serving Size: This makes 6-8 servings, which is perfect for a large family.
- Excellent Leftovers: We fought over who got to eat the leftovers in this recipe. If possible, it got EVEN BETTER after sitting overnight.
This recipe has been on my site for far too long without any updates. It happens to be my husbands all-time favorite dinner, but then again who doesn’t love a big bowl of rich and delicious beef stew? Especially when it’s so easy to make.
The ingredient list is fairly simple with hardly any prep and your family will think you’ve been slaving away in the kitchen. The perfect balance of beef, carrots, and potato with a hefty dash of garlic. You will love this slow cooker stew.
EASY BEEF STEW INGREDIENTS
So what exactly is the best cut of beef for slow cooker stew? Let’s dive into the ingredient list to talk about the best meat and potatoes plus some extra pro tips.
- Meat: The best cut of meat to use is a chuck roast. Most of the time you can find this in the grocery store labeled as “stew meat”. They chop it up for you, saving that extra step, and this cut turns out extra tender. OR you can buy a chuck roast on sale and cut it on your own.
- Flour: Tossing the meat in flour and seasonings helps to create a thick gravy, which I love.
- Seasoning: Seasoning salt, pepper, bay leaves AND a stew seasoning pack from the spices aisle.
- Broth: You have a little more control with how thin/thick you want to make this recipe based off of how much broth you add. I use a little less, because we prefer a thick stew, but you could add more for a thinner consistency.
- Carrots: Could you slice your carrots? Yes. Did I save the time and just toss in a handful of baby carrots? Also, yes.
- Potatoes: Starchy potatoes work best for stews and soups. I recommend trying yukon gold or russets.
- Onion and Celery: One onion and a two celery stalks.
- Worcestershire: A small dash elevates the savoriness to this stew that is unmatched.
- Garlic: Measure with your heart. I always add more than the amount called for, so if you love garlic toss in an extra clove.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF STEW IN A SLOW COOKER
- SEAR: Start by seasoning and tossing the meat in flour. Heat a pan with a small bit of oil and sear, in batches, just until browned on all sides.
- MIX: Mix all of the ingredients, including the beef pieces, into a large slow cooker.
- COOK: Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- ENJOY: Serve and enjoy!
- Slow Cooker: This recipe works best with a larger cooker. I use a 7 quart crock pot (affiliate) which happens to fit everything perfectly.
- Saute Pan: You need a larger saute pan (affiliate) to brown the meat. I like this non stick version and use it for almost everything.
The best cut of meat to use is a chuck roast. Most of the time you can find this in the grocery store labeled as “stew meat”. They chop it up for you, saving that extra step, and this cut turns out extra tender. OR you can buy a chuck roast on sale and cut it on your own.
You can skip browning the meat before cooking and add the meat into the slow cooker raw. However, we find that browning gives it a rich flavor that is unbeatable.
If stored in an airtight container inside the refrigerator, beef stew leftovers will last up to four days.
Yes. Crock Pot Beef Stew can be frozen for up to three months. Cook as directed and cool completely. Transfer to a freezer safe container, or bag, and freeze solid. When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight inside the refrigerator. Heat in the microwave or stove top.
MORE MUST-TRY SLOW COOKER RECIPES
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Easy Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups mini carrots
- 3 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 packet stew seasoning
- Whisk together the flour, seasoned salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Toss the meat into the mixture until coated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Working in batches, sear the outside of the meat until browned.
- Transfer the browned meat to the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Leave a Review!