Ready to sink your teeth into the ultimate Turkey Cranberry Sandwich? This isn’t just a post-Thanksgiving, fridge-clearing meal—this is a flavor-packed delicacy you’ll crave year-round. With layers of tender turkey, tangy cranberry sauce, and crunchy vegetables, this sandwich deserves a spot at your lunch table or even your next holiday feast.
Why You’ll Love This Sandwich
- Leftover Makeover: Got heaps of Thanksgiving leftovers? This sandwich is a scrumptious way to give them new life.
- Quick & Easy: Seriously, it’s a sandwich. Slap it together in minutes, no culinary degree required.
- Versatility: Breakfast? Add an egg. Dinner? Serve it open-faced and broiled. This sandwich adapts like a foodie chameleon.
I first had a variation of this sandwich when we were on vacation. It wasn’t even close to Thanksgiving, but the waitress insisted this was their top seller. It seemed too simple to be good, but I gave it a try anyway. Boy-oh-boy am I hooked on this flavor combination. So stinken simple and yet one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had.
Imagine biting into a symphony of flavors, where each ingredient plays its own little tune but together they create a masterpiece. The turkey is like your comforting bass, solid and hearty. Then comes the cranberry sauce, hitting the high notes with its tangy sweetness. It’s a harmonious blend of savory, sweet, and tangy—each bite a delicious encore. Basically, it tastes like Thanksgiving in a bun, minus the awkward family conversations.
Turkey Cranberry Sandwich Ingredients
You’re going to glance at this list and wonder how such simple ingredients can make such a big flavor impact. It’s a magic blend of all of the right things.
- Bread: All of the magic starts with the type of bread you pick. I suggest going with something you already know you love. I prefer a whole grain with this turkey sandwich. If you’re stuck on which to pick, sourdough is always a classic.
- Mayonnaise: Sauces and spreads are always tricky to balance. This recipe only needs one thing. Mayo adds that creamy richness that balances out the tartness of the cranberries and the mild flavor of the turkey.
- Cheese: Provolone cheese is smooth, slightly sharp, and has a melt-in-your-mouth quality that just vibes with turkey. It’s not overwhelming, so you still get to taste that oven-roasted turkey goodness.
- Vegetables: Specifically, lettuce and red onion.
- Turkey: Use fresh turkey, leftovers, or deli sliced. All work with this simple sandwich.
- Cranberry Sauce: Canned or homemade taste equally delicious!
Leftover Thanksgiving Sandwich Recipe
Sandwiches are perfect for a quick and filling meal, especially when they are loaded with turkey. It’s an excellent source of protein and super filling!
- PREP: Spread the mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- LAYER: Lay one slice of provolone cheese onto one slice of bread. Top with a layer of lettuce and sliced red onion.
- STACK: Stack the turkey sliced directly onto the vegetables. Spread a dollop of cranberry over the turkey and press the top slice of bread directly on top.
- ENJOY: Cut in half and enjoy!
The secret to that flavor explosion is in the layer!
- Cutting Board (affiliate): One that catches juices, to keep that turkey mess in check.
- Toothpicks or Skewers (affiliate): To keep that towering beauty intact.
- Spreading Knives (affiliate): For evenly slathering that cranberry sauce and mayo.
- Panini Press (affiliate): In case you’re looking for a warm, toasty finish.
I like a whole grain bread. Sourdough is classic, but ciabatta or rye will add a fun twist. Your bread, your rules!
Either works! Leftovers are quicker; fresh turkey breast gives you bragging rights. I use deli sliced throughout the year.
Heck yes! It’s just cranberries, sugar, and water. Boil and cool.
Yes! Or no. Honestly, this is good as written and good toasted. Toast for crunch, skip if you’re a softie. Either way, it’s yum.
Yep! While it is best fresh, you can certainly use this as a packed lunch or meal prep. Wrap it up, and it’s fridge-friendly for up to two days.
Sweet potato fries, a simple salad, or good ol’ potato chips.
Turkey Cranberry Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- 1 lettuce
- 2-3 slices red onion
- 2-3 oz sliced turkey
- 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- Spread the mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- Lay one slice of provolone cheese onto one slice of bread. Top with a layer of lettuce and sliced red onion.
- Stack the turkey sliced directly onto the vegetables. Spread a dollop of cranberry over the turkey and press the top slice of bread directly on top.
- Cut in half and enjoy!