My husband has been begging me to make these cookies. At first I thought he was talking about French Macarons and made those (which you can see in my How to make a French Macaron or Salted Caramel French Macaron post), but he was quick to let me know that THOSE cookies were not the macaroons he was looking for. He was searching for macarOOns. Apparently these coconut flake filled treats are high on his cookie love list.
I decided to do a quick search and realized that these are actually pretty simple to make. Which is nice for this time of year… You know… In case you were supposed to make a treat for a holiday party and completely forgot until an hour before… Not that I have done that or anything…
- 1-1/3 cup shredded coconut ( I used finely shredded)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk together the coconut, sugar, flour, salt and vanilla.
- Beat your egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff peeks form. Fold into your batter. Drop by teaspoon full onto your prepared sheet and bake 15-18 minutes, or until lightly browned on the edges.
- Dip or drizzle in chocolate if desired.
I love the flavor of coconut but am not a huge fan of the giant flakes, so I decided to go with the finely shredded stuff. It’s amazing and I totally feel like I’ve been missing out my entire life for not having this around. So if you are like me and have a hard time with the strange texture… give the finely shredded stuff a try.
OR you can skip all this hard business and pick up a bag of the Shirley J macaroon mix. Just add water and voila! That product is actually what inspired me to try out the less giant flakes in my cookies. I might start adding coconut to more of my recipes now!
Are you a Macaron or MacarOOn fan?2