These S’more Macarons take the classic French cookie and give it a delicious American twist! Filled with a chocolate ganache and marshmallow filling, this is the perfect summer flavor!
Be sure to browse all of our delicious cookie recipes and try some of our favorites like my Salted Caramel Macarons, Homemade S’more Cereal Treats or our S’more Bar!
- BEST Macaron Base: Macarons can be temperamental. This cookie recipe is tried and tested over and over to give you an almost fool proof cookie.
- Easy to Customize: You can add almost any filling to these cookies.
- Perfect Gift Giving Cookie: These are simply beautiful and the perfect gift to give any time of the year.
There really isn’t a more elegant cookie than the classic French Macaron. It’s a lovely light base made from almond flour that pairs well with almost every flavor, but these S’more Macarons are one of my all-time favorites.
The lightly sweetened almond cookie tastes incredible with the fluffy marshmallow filling and chocolate ganache. It captures all of the flavor of America’s favorite campfire treat in cookie form! You will fall in love with these cookies and easily eat an entire batch all on your own!
S’more Macaron Ingredients
You’ll be surprised to find out that this list for these macarons is fairly simple! Most of the items are kitchen staples, which means you probably already have what you need on hand. There are, however, a few items that are a little less common. Here is what you will need to get started:
- Egg whites: Large egg whites that have been brought to room temperature. Using ingredients that are no longer chilled are key to getting those perfect macaron feet.
- Granulated sugar and Powdered sugar: These two sweeteners are measured carefully to give these the perfect light sweetness.
- Almond flour: You cannot substitute other flour types in this recipe. Almond flour must be used and can be found in the baking aisle of most local grocers.
- Salt: A pinch of salt is key in bringing all of the flavors together to work cohesively.
- Chocolate Ganache: Ganache is a super simple cake or cookie filling! Chocolate is melted by stirring in heated heavy cream making a smooth spreadable chocolate mixture.
- Marshmallow Frosting: This is one of my FAVORITE frostings! Smooth, lightly sweetened, and perfect for any cake or cookie.
How To Make S’more Macarons
- PREP: Line two baking trays with parchment paper OR silicone baking mats. Set aside for later.
- SHIFT: Combine the powdered sugar and almond flour together in a shifter. Shift two times, discarding any large almond pieces.
- WHISK: Place the egg whites into a mixing bowl and whisk until foamy. Add the sugar and salt. Continue to mix until stiff peaks begin to form.
- FOLD: Add the almond flour mixture into the same bowl as the whipped egg whites. Use a spatula to stir exactly 65 times by hand.
- PIPE: Carefully transfer the batter into a piping bag. Pipe 1 inch rounds onto the prepared baking trays. Tap each tray on the counter 4 to 5 times to remove any air bubbles.
- REST: Let the cookies sit for 30 minutes, or until the surface of the cookie is dry and no longer tacky.
- BAKE: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and bake the cookies for 20 minutes. Remove from the baking tray and allow them to cool completely before filling with chocolate and marshmallow frosting.
- Use a macaron mat like this one here. It will help keep your cookies uniform in size.
- Buy a round pipping tip and pipping bags.
- Use food color PASTE if you are going to color your cookies.
- Use a flexible spatula to fold the batter
Yes and no. Macarons are notoriously known for being delicate and finicky. I have made 5 batches in a row that turn out gorgeous and 5 batches that were a complete waste. Getting the right consistency in your batter is an art form. After lots of practice I can confidently say that more times than not mine form perfectly. It takes patience. If I rush through the recipe I will fail. So take your time and practice, practice, practice!
The short answer is no. The base of these cookies is the almond flour. It provides the flavor, texture, and beautiful feet that macarons are known for. All-purpose flour will give you an almond cookie with a dense and crunchy texture.
These cookies are best eaten within one week of baking and assembling.
Use a macaron mat (affiliate) like this one here. (affiliate) It will help keep your cookies uniform in size.
Shift all of your ingredients. Remove any large pieces of the almond meal/flour.
Buy a round pipping tip (affiliate) and pipping bags.
Use food color PASTE (affiliate) if you are going to color your cookies.
Use a flexible spatula (affiliate) to fold the batter
More Must Try Smore Recipes
Still hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas!
Ghirardelli S’more French Macarons
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 egg whites room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips or pieces
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 7 oz jar marshmallow fluff
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper OR silicone baking mats. Set aside for later.
- Combine the powdered sugar and almond flour together in a shifter. Shift two times, discarding any large almond pieces.
- Place the egg whites into a mixing bowl and whisk until foamy. Add the sugar and salt. Continue to mix until stiff peaks begin to form.
- Add the almond flour mixture into the same bowl as the whipped egg whites. Use a spatula to stir exactly 65 times by hand.
- Carefully transfer the batter into a piping bag. Pipe 1 inch rounds onto the prepared baking trays. Tap each tray on the counter 4 to 5 times to remove any air bubbles.
- Let the cookies sit for 30 minutes, or until the surface of the cookie is dry and no longer tacky.
- While the cookies are resting, prepare the frosting.
- Whip the butter until light and fluffy. Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla until combined.
- Add the marshmallow fluff and mix until incorporated, being sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and bake the cookies for 20 minutes. Remove from the baking tray and allow them to cool completely before filling.
- While the cookies cool, heat the heavy cream until just simmering.
- Place the chocolate into a glass bowl. Pour the cream over the chocolate and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir until smooth and allow to slightly set slightly, about 5-10 minutes.
- Match the macaron cookies with fitting sized partners.
- Spread the marshmallow frosting on one side. Dab a bit of chocolate ganache on the other.
- Gently press together and serve.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Comments & Reviews
marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings says
Oh man these look amazing. I wish I could just reach into my computer and grab one! pinning
Holly C. says
S’mores are one of my favorites. I know I would love these!
Kathleen @ Fearlessly Creative Mammas says
They look so pretty and yummy. You had me at s’mores. Love them.
LOVE ghirardelli chocolate! I have a few dozen bags at all time!
Audra @ RealityToDreams says
Beautiful photos! Ghiradelli is so yummy, and Smores have to be one of my favorite treats!
aimee @ like mother like daughter says
Mmm these look so delicious! (Why didnt I try one on Weds?!) I love ghiradelli chocolate so I know anything that uses it will be perfection. Yum!
I love smores and these look so good – Yum!
These look delicious! I love Ghiradelli chocolate too!
Laura Muir says
Hey! I recognize these! They look fabulous! 🙂 YUM!
Becky @ lovetobeinthekitchen says
Wow! These look so good! I love Ghiradelli! Pinning!
Lauren Allen says
These look amazing! Anything with Ghiradelli in the name has got my vote! Can’t wait to try them!