These Raspberry Meringue Cookies are a light and sweet alternative to your typical chocolate chip! Made with whipped egg whites, powdered sugar, and cream of tartar!
There is nothing better than a simple 5 ingredient dessert recipe.
These cookies are light, airy, and perfect for your cookie tray! They taste a bit like cotton candy, which I feel is always acceptable.
Family approved, and one of our favorites:
Meringue Cookie Recipe
While these cookies are super easy to make, they can be a little finicky. You want the end result to be a light, slightly dry, baked cookie. Follow the steps below to ensure the perfect meringue cookie every time!
How to make meringue cookies:
- Start with room temperature eggs.
- Separate the eggs and beat until just foamy. Whisk in the cream of tartar and sugar.
- Fold in the extract and food coloring if using.
- Pipe onto a prepared baking tray and place in a preheated oven.
- Turn OFF the oven and leave your cookies in overnight.
- I found that a hand mixer works best with this recipe.
- Start with ROOM TEMPERATURE INGREDIENTS. I can’t stress this enough.
- Use disposable piping bags for easy clean up.
- I used a 1M Piping Tip to create my design
Why are my meringue cookies chewy?
Meringue cookies can soak up extra moisture. Following the directions closely and leaving them in the oven overnight is critical in achieving the perfect texture.
How do you store meringue cookies?
Use a quality air tight container away from moisture. If stored properly the cookies should last two weeks.
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon raspberry extract
- food coloring, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking trays with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk your egg whites until foamy. Stir in the cream of tartar and beat until it just starts to look foamy. Slowly mix in half of the sugar. Once combined you can add the extract and food color if using. Whip in the remaining sugar until incorporated and glossy.
- Pipe your meringues into 2 inch circles or your desired shape. Place into the oven. Turn the oven off and allow them to sit overnight.
- Dip in chocolate if you prefer and enjoy!