This easy Sugar Cookie Recipe has the perfect balance of soft and sweetness with the added tang of lemon.
This recipe is one of my favorites. My hubby introduced these little gems back when we were dating. The small box he dropped into my office quickly disappeared and left me daydreaming for the day when I would get my hands on that sugar cookie recipe! His mom generously passed it on to me and it has been a staple here for as long as I can remember. Whenever we have a rainy day (and a stir crazy kid) we whip up a batch and let him decorate to his hearts content.
Pipe your favorite frosting using a closed star tip and you can easily create a dozen roses (the edible kind) for that special someone this Valentines day! Or use a heart shaped cutter and dip half into melted chocolate. The lemon extract gives these a unique taste that is slightly addicting, but if you prefer to stick to a more traditional route you can use vanilla extract in it’s place. Or raspberry… or orange… The possibilities are endless!
- 3-1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until light. Stir in the egg, extract, sour cream, and dry ingredients.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll 1/4 inch thick. Cut using your desired shape. Place on the baking tray and cook for ten minutes or until the edges are just lightly browning.
If you are sticking with my original recipe try this cream cheese frosting on top. You won’t be sorry!
Here’s a quick kitchen tip… make sure your cream cheese is room temp before your start to mix in the frosting ingredients. This will keep the frosting smooth and silky for piping.
PS, If you liked this post you will LOVE these:
This post may contain affiliate links. I include these links to help you find specific products that are used in my recipes. If you purchase an item from the link on One Sweet Appetite, I will receive a small commission helping keep my recipes free for you.
One Sweet Appetite is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com0