This incredibly simple campfire sandwich is prepped at home and cooked on hot coals. Full of flavor and made with only 4 ingredients! It is the perfect camping recipe.
We love camping. Summers here in Utah are beautiful and we have endless options of campgrounds. Our kid is growing so quick. The goal is to hit as many fun sites that we can before he decides to pack his bags and leave our home.
THIS make ahead sandwich is always one we make. It is super simple, has endless flavor options, and can be made ahead of time. The three staples of a quality recipe, in my opinion.
What You Need:
Really, you can’t go wrong with any option. Get creative or use our go-to recipe:
- Roast Beef
- Rolls or bread
Here are a few other lunch meat and cheese combos we have tried and LOVE:
- Ham and cheddar
- Turkey and herded cream cheese
- Roast beef and provolone or cheese whiz (no judging)
- Chicken and pepper jack
How to make a quick and tasty campfire sandwich:
Another fun thing about this recipe is how quickly you can modify. We have added roasted peppers, pickles, onion, sauces… The options are endless.
- Slice the rolls in half.
- Spread one side with mayonnaise.
- Layer a 3 to 4 slices of thinly cut roast beef or meat of choice on the bottom slice.
- Add a slice of cheese or spread cheese whiz onto the top bun.
- Press the top bun onto the top of your sandwich. Wrap in foil and place in a large zip top bag.
- When ready to cook, place the wrapped sandwiches around the hot coals of a fire. Cook 2 to 5 minutes, turning frequently, until the sandwiches are heated through.
We make it a family night before we pack for our trip. Everyone forms an assembly line. We make our own sandwiches, wrap them in foil, and pack them away in the freezer for our trip!
What kind of food should I bring camping?
Since we do camp often, I am constantly asked this question. What recipes should I bring camping?
My answer is always the same, easy recipes that taste great. I have a list of our favorites that you can browse here. But here are a few others we really enjoy:
Can you make camping food ahead?
Yes! You can definitely make camping meals ahead of time. In fact, I highly recommend it.
I prep our meals the day before we leave for the trip. This helps with a number of things, but the most important is that my trips run smoother leaving me with more time to enjoy myself.
Make your meals ahead and either freeze them or pack them in an insulated cooler.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 30 Camping Tin Foil Dinners
- 45 Easy Camping Recipes
- Camping Dutch Oven Ham
- Italian Chicken Pita Sandwich
- 12 rolls
- 1 lb good roast beef or any other lunch meat
- cheese of choice we like cheese whiz
At home prep:
- Spread mayonnaise onto one side of your roll. Layer roast beef and cheese.
- Individually wrap each sandwich in tin foil and freeze.
At home cooking:
- Place your foil wrapped sandwiches in the oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Toss your sandwiches onto warmed coals and cook until heated through
- (about 20 minutes)
Pin for later: