This recipe is one of my favorites. My hubby introduced these little gems back when we were dating. The small box he dropped into my office quickly disappeared and left me daydreaming all day long for the day when I would get my hands on that sugar cookie recipe! His mom generously passed the recipe on to me and it’s been a staple here for as long as I can remember. Whenever we have a rainy day (and a stir crazy kid) we whip up a batch and let him decorate to his hearts content.
- 3-1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until light. Stir in the egg, extract, sour cream, and dry ingredients.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll 1/4 inch thick. Cut using your desired shape. Place on the baking tray and cook for ten minutes or until the edges are just lightly browning.
Pipe your favorite frosting using a closed star tip and you can easily create a dozen roses (the edible kind) for that special someone this Valentines day! Or use a heart shaped cutter and dip half into melted chocolate. The lemon extract gives these a unique taste that is slightly addicting, but if you prefer to stick to a more traditional route you can use vanilla extract in it’s place. Or raspberry… or orange… The possibilities are endless!
If you are sticking with my original recipe try this cream cheese frosting on top. You won’t be sorry! I used a Wilton 14 Inch Piping Bag, Large Open Star Tip , & Ateco Plain Round Cutter Set to decorate these cookies!
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons soft butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- MIX, MIX, MIX: Mix all of the ingredients until you reach your desired consistency.
What is on your list for Valentines Day Treats?? Here are a few fun favorites from other foodies that I think are worth a look!
Heart Swirled Cheesecake @ Dessert Now Dinner Later
Strawberry Heart Marshmallows @ The Kitchen McCabe
Chocolate Cupcakes for Two @ Like Mother Like Daughter
Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes @ Baked by Rachel
Or if you aren’t into cooking yourself, check out these Top Romantic Dinner Locations in Utah @ Just Between Friends!