This easy Butterbeer Poke Cake is magical! Butterscotch pudding is poured over a light and fluffy cake while it’s still warm, which leaves you with a bold flavor that is irresistible. Topped with cool whip and drizzled with caramel, this is a dessert fit for any witch, wizard, or muggle!
- Easy Cake Recipe: This recipe is SO simple to make and can be ready in under an hour (can’t frost before it cools!).
- Cake Mix Hack: The base uses a cake mix with one simple modification. It’s so easy and no one will believe it came from a box.
- Make-Ahead: This cake actually tastes BETTER the longer it sits. I make it the day before, but we usually enjoy a slice or two right after I frost!
It is no secret that I am the biggest geek-out Harry Potter fan. Or at least one of them. I have dozens of Harry Potter recipes and party ideas right here on the site. Most HP fans know that the most popular flavor is BUTTERBEER.
For my birthday last month I decided it was my go-to cake flavor. Enter this Harry Potter butterbeer cake! The bold butterscotch flavor is simply dreamy and there is no way you can mess this one up. A crowd pleaser and perfect for any occasion!
POKE CAKE INGREDIENTS
Let’s break down why this recipe is so amazing. First of all, it’s sweet and loaded with bold butterscotch flavor. BUT it isn’t too sweet. It has the perfect balance. It’s also incredibly moist thanks to pudding poured over the top and soaking into the warm baked cake.
You just cannot go wrong with this recipe. Here is what you need to get started,
- Yellow Cake Mix: Pick your favorite mix with the eggs and oil called for on the back of the box. You will not need the water.
- Cream Soda: Swap the water called for on the cake mix box with cream soda. Technically, you can use the water. This just gives the cake a little extra butterbeer flavor.
- Butterscotch Pudding: INSTANT. I know, I have the cook and serve in the photo. We tested both options and instant works best.
- Whipped Topping: I am the easy queen. I like to keep things as simple as possible. That’s why I opted to use cool whip. Spread an 8 oz container right over the top and it is delicious. Optionally, you can make homemade whipped cream.
- Butterscotch Sauce: Optional, but a delicious finish to the top of the cake! Try making my homemade butterscotch sauce. It’s so simple and insanely delicious.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERBEER CAKE WITH CAKE MIX
Love poke cakes? Be sure to try my Strawberry Jello Cake too!
- PREP: Gather the ingredients. Stir together the cake batter according to the box directions, substituting cream soda for the water called for.
- BAKE: Pour the cake batter into a 9×13 pan and bake according to the box.
- POUR: While the cake is still hot, poke holes in the top using the back of a wooden spoon. Whisk 1 box of pudding mix with 2 cups of milk. Pour directly onto the warm cake, making sure to get every bit covered.
- CHILL: Cover and chill for one hour to allow the pudding to set.
- SERVE: Spread the top with cool whip and serve with butterscotch sauce.
- Hand Mixer: While this definitely can be mixed by hand, a hand mixer (affiliate) will make it come together quickly and lump free.
- Mixing Bowls: A quality set of mixing bowls needed in every kitchen. This nesting set of bowls (affiliate) is one of my favorites. The different sizes are incredibly handy and it doesn’t take up too much space.
- Silicone Spatula: Silicone spatulas (affiliate) are amazing. You can use them for mixing, cooking (since they are heat resistant) and everything in between.
BUTTERBEER CAKE RECIPE TIPS
Poke cake is a cake that is made by poking holes into a fresh baked cake and pouring Jell-O or pudding directly on top of the cake. This soaks into the warm cake creating a ultra moist and flavorful dessert.
If you keep this cake covered and chilled in the refrigerator, this cake will last up to 4 days.
Yep! In fact, we like to let it sit for a few hours before serving. This makes the cake incredibly moist and tender.
Yes, but you need to cook the pudding first before adding to the recipe.
MORE MUST-TRY HARRY POTTER RECIPES
- Butterbeer Latte
- Hagrid Birthday Cake
- 2-Ingredient Butterbeer Fudge
- Butterbeer Cupcakes
- Butterbeer Cookies
Butterbeer Poke Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix + eggs and oil called for on box
- 1 cup cream soda
- 1 (3.4 oz) instant butterscotch pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz whipped topping
- Butterscotch sauce optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 cake pan. Set aside.
- Mix the cake batter according to the box directions, substituting the water with cream soda. This is typically 1 cup.
- Bake according to the back of the box.
- While the cake is still warm, poke holes onto the top using the back of a wooden spoon. Spread the holes roughly 1 inch apart.
- Whisk the pudding mix with the milk for one minute and immediately pour over the top of the cake, making sure you pour before the mixture thickens.
- Cover and chill the cake for one hour to allow the cake to firm.
- Spread the whipped topping over the top and serve with extra butterscotch sauce.