Nothing beats a slice of this Strawberry Poke Cake! Airy, light and filled with delicious strawberry flavor. You can’t go wrong with this easy dessert recipe. Perfect for year round for parties, gatherings, and ready in a snap to help fix that sweet craving!
I love a good Jello based recipe! If you love poke cake, be sure to try some of our other popular treats like my No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake, Jello Popsicles, and Easy Candied Grapes with Jello.
- Easy: If you can make a box cake mix, you can make this recipe.
- No-Fail Dessert: The best part of this dish is that you cannot mess it up. Baking is a snap and decorating is even easier. All you have to do is have a steady hand while spreading whipped cream. Easy peasy.
- Family Favorite: This, along with my chocolate whipped cream cake, are the top requested for all birthdays. Sweet enough without being over the top and easy to customize with different flavors.
So, what exactly is a strawberry Jello poke cake? Great question! Poke cakes are possibly the most underrated dessert on the planet. Bake a cake, poke holes, fill with Jello, and top with fresh whipped cream or cool whip!
Sounds too easy to be good, right? But it isn’t. The simplicity of this dessert is what makes it so great. The Jello is poured over the cake while everything is still warm which helps it to soak into the fluffy cake and meld the flavors. This gives you a melt in your mouth finish that is sent over the top with the addition of cream.
Made in a 9×13 pan, which means it is perfect for a crowd, and unbelievably beautiful with a few sliced strawberries spread across the top.
Strawberry Poke Cake Ingredients
One of the great things about this cake recipe is the short ingredient list. There isn’t much to this dish, which is probably why it is one of my favorites. We almost always have a cake mix and gelatin pack on hand to whip this up in a jiff.
- White Cake Mix: Pick your favorite white cake mix. I like Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines, which both are around $2. The price is right and the flavor is good. You actually get a lot of flavor from the added Jello, so you can even use an off brand cake if you’d like! You’ll also need any ingredients called for on the back of the box.
- Strawberry Jello: I like to use a 3 oz box in the strawberry flavor, however you can venture out and try other flavors too! I’m sure a lemon or raspberry would be outstanding! You’ll mix this with a little hot water before pouring over top the cake.
- Whipped Topping: I like Cool Whip for the ease of opening the container and immediately being able to spread onto the cake. Other people like whipped cream. You can’t go wrong with either, in my opinion.
Strawberry Jello Poke Cake Recipe
- PREP: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9×13 pan with baking spray and set aside for later.
- CAKE: Mix the cake mix with the ingredients called for on the box. Pour into the pan and bake according to the package directions.
- POKE: Remove the cake from the oven when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Using the rounded end of a wooden spoon handle, poke holes over the top of the cake.
- JELLO: Whisk the strawberry Jello powder with 1 cup of boiling water, stirring until the powder has dissolved. Pour over the prepared cake, trying to spread evenly over the top.
- CHILL: Let the warm cake cool to room temperature. I like to put mine into the refrigerator for at least one hour after it has cooled.
- SERVE: When ready to serve, spread the whipped topping over the cake and add fresh sliced strawberries.
- 9×13 Pan: I LOVE my 9×13 pan with a lid (affiliate). This single pan is one of my most used. I love that I can top any leftovers with the lid and pop it straight into the refrigerator. It’s also handy when traveling with a recipe.
- Mixing Bowls: I have a nesting mixing bowl set (affiliate) that stacks beautifully. Space saving and tons of sizes included!
- Whisk: May seem obvious, but this specific whisk spatula combo (affiliate) is ideal for cake making! You can scrape the sides and mix the batter without the need for extra equipment.
Yes! In fact, I recommend it! We love strawberry, raspberry, lemon… These are just a handful of flavors offered that taste incredible in this cake.
Keep any leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. After that the cake will start to become a little more soggy, but still good.
Yes. We like the lightness of whipped topping, but you definitely can add a frosting if you would like. I suggest a vanilla buttercream or marshmallow frosting.
Want even more strawberry? I’ve got you covered. Combine 2 cups of sliced berries with a hefty sprinkle of sugar. Mix and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon over the top of the frosted cake before serving.
Not at all. Use whatever cake flavor you’d like. I feel like a white cake mix gives you a good base, but you can definitely play with the flavor.
More Must Try Cake Recipes
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Strawberry Jello Poke Cake
- 1 (15.25 oz) white cake mix plus ingredients called for on the box
- 1 (3oz) box strawberry Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (8oz) container cool whip
- fresh strwaberries for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9×13 pan with baking spray and set aside for later.
- Mix the cake mix with the ingredients called for on the box. Pour into the prepared pan and bake according to the package directions.
- Remove the cake from the oven when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Using the rounded end of a wooden spoon handle, poke holes over the top of the cake.
- Whisk the strawberry Jello powder with 1 cup of boiling water, stirring until the powder has dissolved. Pour over the prepared cake, trying to spread evenly over the top.
- Let the warm cake cool to room temperature. I like to put mine into the refrigerator for at least one hour after it has cooled.
- When ready to serve, spread the whipped topping over the cake and add fresh sliced strawberries.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Leave a Review!