This Chili Dog Recipe is the BEST. The homemade hot dog chili is better than take-out and comes together in under 30 minutes!
Why You’ll Love This Hot Dog Chilli Recipe
- Easy Dinner Idea: We’re always looking for quick and easy dinners. This one is a family favorite that never disappoints.
- 30-Minute Recipe: From start to finish you can have this served in 30-minutes.
- Easily Customizable: Toppings are king when it comes to chili cheese dogs. Don’t be afraid to try your favorites. Ketchup, mustard, onions, relish… The ideas are nearly endless.
Let me tell you, this hot dog chili is the BEST. I never saw myself creating a no-bean chili vs opening a can, but the flavor is night and day with the added bonus that this takes almost no effort to whip up! Ideal for potlucks, parties, or anytime you’re craving this classic American comfort food! Add in a handful of melty gooey cheese, with your favorite toppings, and you’re in for a savory dinner that will instantly become a favorite.
Homemade Hot Dog Chili Ingredients
So, what is a chili dog? Basically, it is the best recipe for hot dogs on the planet. A no-bean chili is spooned over a cooked hot dog and topped with a hefty amount of cheese. Add your favorite toppings, like onion or ketchup, and enjoy. Easy peasy. Here is what you need to get started:
- Ground beef: I purchase my ground beef from Costco. You can’t beat those bulk prices. Our beef is 91% Lean / 9% Fat, but you could use a higher fat for more flavor if desired.
- Beef broth: In a carton, or Better Than Bouillon (affiliate). Again, we purchase large bottles of Better at Costco and it gives you an insanely delicious flavor. Or a can of broth will work.
- Tomato Paste: Half a can. Pro tip- you can FREEZE tomato paste for later. I do this when making chili’s or soups to save the unused portion for 3 months.
- Ketchup: Just enough to add more tomato flavor.
- Spices: Chili Powder, Salt, Onion and Garlic powder.
- Brown sugar: A dash of sugar helps cut back on acidity from the tomato.
- Worcestershire sauce: Just a dash.
- Hot dogs: Pick a quality dog. We like the Costco brand or Nathan’s.
- Buns: Again, opt for the buns that are in the bakery or make your own! You can use my 40 minute hamburger bun recipe and shape them into that classic oval.
- Cheese: Alright, here is where you can really get creative. Use classic cheddar, American, or even cheese whiz.
World’s Best Chili Dog Recipe
- PREP: Gather your ingredients. I like to pull everything out and measure before I get started. This helps make sure I don’t miss or miss-measure an ingredient.
- COOK: Brown the beef in a skillet. Stir in all of the remaining chili ingredients.
- SIMMER: Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes.
- GRILL: Grill or cook the hot dogs on the stove while the chili is finishing up. This is also a great time to prep the toppings.
- ASSEMBLE: Place a cooked hot dog into a bun. Spoon chili and sprinkle with cheese.
- ENJOY: Serve immediately and enjoy your meal!
- Meat Chopper: This was a random off the wall gift my husband gave me that turned into one of my favorite kitchen items. Meat Choppers (affiliate) make it super simple to cook ground meats like beef, chicken, and pork.
- Pot: I used my Calphalon pot (affiliate), which an amazing option, but you could also use a dutch oven (affiliate).
- Hot Dog Grill Roller: Ok, hear me out, this is like a hidden GEM for grillers. This hot dog roller (affiliate) makes it SO easy to roll all of the dogs at one time. It is magic.
I used to be a classic u0022chili and cheeseu0022 gal. That is, until I realized you can add almost ANYTHING to a chili dog and it will be delicious. They are already messy, so don’t be afraid to overload!
Ketchup and Mustard
No need to go fancy on the bun. Pick a quality, preferably not the $1 version, bun that you know your family will enjoy. If you’ve never tried a brioche bun, I highly recommend you do.
All-Beef tend to be a fan favorite. We like Nathan’s or the Costco brand. But you can really use any hot dog for this recipe.
Huge news. You can actually make this in advance, which comes in handy when prepping for a party! This chili recipe will last up to 3 days if stored covered in the refrigerator.
Yes. You can store cooled chili in freezer safe bags or containers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat in the microwave or stovetop.
MORE MUST-TRY QUICK DINNER RECIPES
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HOT DOGS
- Jalapeno Popper Burgers
- Crispy Baked Onion Rings
- Creamy Jalapeno Mac and Cheese
- Quick Pickle Relish
- Skillet Queso
Hot Dog Chili Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- dash Worcestershire
- 6 hot dogs
- Add the ground beef to a medium sized pot. Cook until brown and crumbled.
- Add the beef broth, tomato paste, ketchup, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, and worcestershire.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- While the chili is cooking, add the hot dogs to a warm skillet.
- Cook, turning frequently, until the hot dogs are browned and heated through.
- Add the hot dog to a bun and spoon chili on top.
- Serve with desired toppings.