Easy single serve carrot cake oatmeal recipe! This is a quick go-to breakfast recipe that is about to become a staple in your menu lineup. Easy to make, minimal ingredients, and incredibly filling!
I can easily say this is the best oatmeal recipe. It has carrots, cinnamon, nutmeg… And it takes less than five minutes to make.
That’s right. In less than five minutes you can have a filling and delicious breakfast ready to devour, AND it is kid approved.
My super picky eater, who is not a fan of oatmeal in the slightest, came wondering into the kitchen as this cooked and proclaimed; “What is that fantastic smell?? I need to try this!!”
Who am I to stand in his way? Three minutes later we had a bowl for him and he licked it clean in minutes. I consider this a win.
Carrot Oatmeal Ingredients:
Like many of my recipes, this one calls for minimal ingredients and most are pantry staples. Let’s do a quick breakdown of each item needed.
- Quick Oats– Since we are cooking this in the microwave, quick oats are a must. This helps keep the entire cooking process easy and fast.
- Water– Or milk. We like to use water in the initial cooking of the recipe. However, I have also used milk, almond milk, and coconut milk with equal success.
- Carrots– The star of the show! I use about half of a medium carrot. Be sure to check the tips below for my favorite way to shred these for this recipe.
- Cinnamon– This adds a bit of flavor to a super simple dish. Don’t skimp this part of the recipe.
- Salt– Only a pinch as a flavor enhancer.
- Brown Sugar– Everything is better with a little sweetener. We opt for brown sugar because it adds a slight molasses taste that is oh-so delicious.
- Milk– This ingredient is optional. After cooking we like to stir in a little milk to give you a nice creamy finish.
Sugar free ways to sweeten oatmeal:
We like brown sugar in our oatmeal, however there are a few ways to sweeten your meal without added sugar. Here are a few really easy go-to natural sweetener substitutes: agave, honey, maple syrup.
I recommend starting with a teaspoon or two and work your way up from there.
How to make carrot cake oatmeal in the microwave:
- Stir together the oats, water, carrots, cinnamon, and salt.
- Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Add milk, if desired, and enjoy.
Optional Oatmeal Topping Ideas:
While we love this recipe just as it is, sometimes we like to jazz things up with a few of these great mix-in options!
- Nuts– Toasted walnuts or pecans add a little texture and flavor to this oatmeal.
- Toasted Coconut– This adds an amazing texture and flavor.
- Dried Fruit– Not our typical go-to, but my son really loves raisins or craisins added to his oats.
- Spices– A pinch of nutmeg or a dash of pumpkin pie spice can swap the flavors completely.
Tips for this recipe:
- Use a tall bowl to help keep your oatmeal from spilling out in the microwave.
- I use a fine grater, like this one, when shredding my carrots. It makes these mix in evenly and gives you a bold carrot flavor. However, you can easily shred and chop in a regular grater.
More Oatmeal Recipes:
- The BEST Baked Oatmeal
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- Cinnamon Brown Sugar Oatmeal Bars
- Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Raspberry Overnight Oats
More Carrot Recipes:
Carrot Cake Oatmeal Recipe
- 1/3 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup water or milk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons finely shredded or diced carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1. Stir together the oats, water, carrots, cinnamon, and salt.
- 2. Microwave for 3 minutes.
- 3. Add milk, if desired, and enjoy.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Still hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas!
Leave a Review!