This quick and easy pickle relish recipe comes together in minutes and DOES NOT need to be cooked! Perfect to top off your grilled favorites all season long!
Homemade Pickle Relish Recipe
Ya’ll. I have dived head first into grilling season this year. We are loving the beautiful spring weather and plan to take full advantage. One of our favorite things to make? Hot dogs. They are so simple and oh-so delicious. But we all know it’s all about the toppings!
This fresh relish recipe comes together in under ten minutes and adds a crisp fresh flavor to all of your grilled favorites!
Our absolute favorite way to grill hot dogs is spiral cut. Adding shallow slices to the uncooked meat helps them cook quickly and gives you amazing grooves for your toppings to fill in!
How to spiral cut hot dogs:
- Carefully, use a paring knife to cut at a slight angle around your hot dog.
- Make sure to slowly spin as you cut to move the spiral down the uncooked hot dog.
- Also, avoid cutting too deep. Shallow cuts are what we are looking for here.
- Once you have added the spiral cut to your dogs, add them to your heated grill. Cook, turning frequently, until your hot dogs are heated through.
Pickle relish ingredients:
- Large dill or sour pickles
- Red Pepper
- Yellow Pepper
- White Onion
- Fresh Dill, optional
- Pickle juice
How to make quick and easy pickle relish:
- Finely dice your pickles, peppers, and onion.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Stir, cover, and chill at least 1 hour.
- Serve on top of your favorite grilled items.
This makes a dill relish. Since I start with dill pickles and add more fresh dill to the seasoning, you end up with a more bold less sweet finish. A sweet relish contains more sugar and has less of a tart vinegar taste.
Just a heads up in case you were hunting for sweet.
How to use relish in recipes:
Here’s the deal, this relish is so stinken good for so many things. We use it on hotdogs, obviously, but also on a few other summer favorites like:
- potato salad
- macaroni salad
- egg salad
- chicken salad
- meatloaf (so good and so random)
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 2 large dill or sour pickles
- 1/4 cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup yellow pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely diced
- fresh dill, optional
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pickle juice, finely diced
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Stir to combine. Refrigerate one hour or up to 24 hours.
- Serve on grilled Ball Park® Beef Franks!
*Calorie count is based off of 1 tablespoon of relish
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 20