This Tom and Chee inspired recipe makes the most amazing sweet and savory grilled cheese donut! Cheddar cheese is slowly melted between a buttered glazed donut for a fun sandwich recipe.
Grilled Cheese Donut Recipe
Recently, I was lucky enough to travel with my husband to Kentucky on a work trip. We saw the sights and ate all of the food. It was glorious.
One of my favorite places had to be Tom + Chee. They have a menu filled with mouth watering grilled cheese sandwiches. The BBQ bacon and pesto turkey were insanely delicious. I was so full and almost passed on their signature grilled cheese donut, but was talked into it by my husband.
It sounds weird. You almost don’t want to bite into it… But the gooey cheese seeps out of the side and the glazed donut is grilled to perfection. It calls for you to dive face first in.
And I did.
Honestly, I didn’t even share with my husband. He had to order a second.
I don’t even feel bad.
What is a grilled cheese donut?
Honestly, this dessert recipe is exactly what it sounds like… A grilled cheese made with a donut.
The bread you would typically see in the classic grilled cheese recipe is replaced with a fresh glazed donut. The donut is sliced, spread with butter, and grilled with cheddar cheese sandwiched between.
What donuts make the best grilled cheese?
You can try any yeast based donut. However, I suggest staying away from cake donuts. They tend to be crumbly and do not slice well. Classic glazed donuts do the best and pair with the cheddar cheese amazingly.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 3 glazed donuts
- 3 tablespoons soft butter
- 3-6 slices cheddar cheese
- Place a skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- Use a bread knife to cut your donut in half, creating two slices. Flip them inside out and lay them sliced side up on a plate.
- Spread both pieces with softened butter.
- Place one slice of donut, butter side down, on your hot pan. Layer cheese and the remaining donut piece.
- Cook one minute on each side, or until browned and cheese is melted.