This pound cake recipe is probably one of my new all time favorites. It is so fragrant and mouth watering. Easy to make and a family favorite!
I love pound cake. It is one of the easiest dessert recipes. You simple mix, pour, bake, and enjoy. Sweet all on its own, or amazing topped with your favorite fruit and whipped cream!
Pound cake was originally named due to the ingredient list. Can you imagine stirring together 1 pound of flour, butter, sugar, and eggs? Luckily, the recipe has adapted over time and the end result is a mouth watering dessert!
Pound Cake Recipe Ingredients:
- Flour- All-purpose, or white, flour is what you need for this sweet cake.
- Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Salt- Leavening agents which provide a lighter texture and salt to enhance flavor.
- Instant French Vanilla Coffee- The powder is what you want to add into the recipe, not a mixed cup of coffee. I use this one.
- Butter- Soft butter that is at room temperature.
- Sugar- White granulated sugar.
- Eggs- Large eggs at room temperature.
- Sour Cream- This adds a slight tang and moisture to the cake.
- Vanilla Extract
Pure Vanilla Extract vs Imitation Vanilla
Imitation: This vanilla is made mostly from artificial flavorings. It can have a slightly bitter aftertaste and you need to use almost double to achieve a real vanilla flavor.
Pure: Vanilla beans are mixed with alcohol and soaked over a long period of time. The longer it sits the better the taste.
As far as flavor goes, it is worth it to spend the extra few dollars for pure vanilla extract or you can make your own. A quick internet search will give you a good homemade vanilla recipe. The method is simple and it makes for a beautiful gift!
Enough blabbing. Let’s get to the good stuff… the recipe! This vanilla pound cake is DIVINE. A little dense and melt in your mouth delicious.
How to Make Homemade Pound Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray, or grease with butter, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coffee mix in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugar until nice and fluffy, roughly 3 minutes. Add the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix until just combined.
- Slowly stir in the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Pour into your pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan, and gently tip out. Cool, slice, and serve.
10 ways to serve pound cake:
The cake on it’s own is out-of-this-world but I decided to take it to a new level and make a vanilla custard to dip pieces of this sweet little cake into. The crème anglaise paired with vanilla pound cake was a match made in heaven. Here are some other great ways to serve pound cake:
- Crème Anglaise
- Whipped Cream and Berries
- Honey and Fruit
- Strawberries with Whipped Cream and Mint
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- A Scoop of Ice Cream
- A Scoop of Greek Yogurt with Honey and Almonds
- Lemon Curd or Jam
- Dust of Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate, Vanilla, or Lemon Glaze
More Cake Recipes:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons instant French vanilla coffee powder
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream