This Fudge Swirl Ice Cream uses only four ingredients and NO machine needed! With just a few minutes of prep, and a few hours of freeze time, you’ll have a creamy and delicious no-churn dessert.
Love ice cream? Me too! Be sure to try my other super popular flavors like my Two Ingredient Vanilla Ice Cream, No-Churn Key Lime Pie Ice Cream, No-Churn Banana Pudding Ice Cream, and Fudge Pops!
This post was originally published July 9, 2012. It has since been updated to include fresh photos and helpful tips.
- No-Fail Ice Cream Recipe: You can’t mess this one up! It takes just minutes and the hardest part is waiting for the batter to freeze.
- 4 Ingredient Dessert: You only need whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and fudge sauce!
- No Special Equipment: Because this is a no-churn ice cream recipe you won’t need an ice cream machine! You can make this with a mixer or a whisk.
We have a house full of ice cream fans. Warm summer days are never complete without a frozen sweet treat. Which means I need a solid go-to ice cream recipe to get us through the season. This is that recipe.
You have a creamy vanilla ice cream base with a decadent chocolate swirl. It is perfection. Every bite has a little piece of fudge sauce, which makes it the best base for your favorite toppings! Maybe some sprinkles, cherries or whipped cream?
Chocolate Swirl Ice Cream Ingredients
Did I mention the best part of this recipe? You DO NOT need an ice cream maker! It also only uses 4 simple ingredients, which makes it a must this summer.
- Heavy whipping cream: Pro tip, heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are the same thing. Either will work in this recipe.
- Sweetened condensed milk: This gives your ice cream the perfect sweetness while also offering a structure for added mix in ingredients.
- Vanilla extract: Consider using pure vanilla extract. Imitation vanilla will leave a slightly less appealing chemical like aftertaste.
- Hot fudge: This is typically found in the ice cream aisle on an end cap with the other topping options.
- OPTIONAL: Chocolate Syrup Recipe– You know, for that extra bit of chocolate goodness on top.
How Do You Make A Swirl In Ice Cream?
- PREP: Add the cream to a chilled mixing bowl. Whip at medium speed until stiff peeks form.
- BASE: Stir the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract together in a large clean bowl. Fold in the whipped cream. Transfer to a freezer safe container, or ice cream container, and set aside.
- SWIRL: Heat the hot fudge according to the side of the container. Drizzle the warmed fudge topping on top of the ice cream. Use a knife to gently swirl.
- FREEZE: Seal the container tightly and freeze until solid, five to seven hours. We like to make ours the day before we plan to enjoy to let it have plenty of time to chill.
- Mixer: You can use a hand whisk (affiliate), but this recipe is much easier if you use a hand mixer (affiliate) or a stand mixer (affiliate). PS- at the time of writing this post that stand mixer is ONLY $80!
- Silicone Spatulas: If I can only recommend one kitchen tool, it would be a set of silicone spatulas (affiliate). These are so versatile and used daily in our kitchen. Great for baking AND cooking.
- Ice Cream Container: You’ll have better luck keeping your ice cream fresh for longer if you use an ice cream container (affiliate). It keeps the air out and stops freezer burn from happening.
No churn means you do not need an ice cream maker to make this recipe. All you need is a mixing bowl, a few basic ingredients, and a freezer safe container. Churning is a process that helps to create smaller ice crystals which produces a silky and creamy ice cream. By using whipped cream and sweetened condensed milk instead of a custard base, you eliminate the need to churn.
Chill the mixing bowl you plan to whip the cream in for 20 minutes in the freezer. This will help you achieve stiff peaks quicker.
Gently fold the whipped cream into the milk mixture. You do not want to lose the lift the cream gives the cream by over mixing.
If you are having trouble with the fudge, heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Yes. No-churn ice cream meats all of the check marks of regular ice cream. It is sweet, creamy, and the flavor is spot on. The only major difference we have found is the texture. As each bite melts in your mouth it is extra smooth. Is that really a bad thing? We don’t think so. I have so many fun versions on the site. Be sure to give them all a try!
If stored properly, this recipe will last 2 to 3 weeks in the freezer. That is, if you don’t eat it all first!
More Must Try Frozen Treats
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
No-Churn Chocolate Swirl Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot fudge
- Add the cream to a chilled mixing bowl. Whip at medium speed until stiff peeks form.
- Stir the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract together in a large clean bowl. Fold in the whipped cream. Transfer to a freezer safe container, or ice cream container, and set aside.
- Heat the hot fudge according to the side of the container. Drizzle the warmed fudge topping on top of the ice cream. Use a knife to gently swirl.
- Seal the container tightly and freeze until solid, five to seven hours.
- Chill the mixing bowl you plan to whip the cream in for 20 minutes in the freezer. This will help you achieve stiff peaks quicker.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the milk mixture. You do not want to lose the lift the cream gives the cream by over mixing.
- If you are having trouble with the fudge, heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Comments & Reviews
Another awesome recipe! I can’t wait to try this!
how fun! i just found that original recipe & am planning to make it this week. so glad to hear it turned out well for you!
Wow, that looks like yummy ice cream! Thank for the great recipe. My favorite ice cream is mint chocolate chip. I also love frozen yogurt!
I’m going to have to see if I can’t find a great way to make frozen yogurt! I think you just helped me with my next few posts!
My hubby just made the best Banana frozen yogurt yesterday! I’ll get the recipe and pass it along.
Oh please do!! We love banana frozen yogurt!
Anna Maria says
Would really love to know the recipe for the Frozen Yogurt. I am a lover of frozen yogurt and love to get creative with flavors, would love if you can give me an idea or a base on whee to start for frozen yogurt ice cream =D
P.S. I can’t wait to make this ice cream!! Thanks!!
Taralyn @ Keep Moving Forward With Me says
Yummy! My five year old would have a blast making the swirls. Definitely going to try that this summer.
My favorite ice cream is founder’s favorite at Coldstone :).
I’m totally with you on the founder’s favorite! Coldstone is a staple with my family!