These easy homemade peppermint patties are a simple candy treat that everyone will love! Creamy peppermint center dipped in a chocolate finish makes these a go-to holiday favorite.
This post was originally published November 27, 2015. It has since been updated to include fresh photos and helpful tips.
- 5-Ingredients: Minimal ingredients makes for a super easy dessert!
- 20-Minutes: Yes, technically this takes 2 hours 20 minutes, but 2 of those hours are chill time!
- Perfect Copycat Recipe: These taste exactly like a York Peppermint Patty!
This copycat recipe tastes EXACTLY like York Peppermint Patties. If you love that light peppermint flavor and sweet chocolate coating, you are going to love this sweet treat. It is the perfect combination of peppermint to chocolate and a quick treat that all peppermint lovers will go crazy for!
Turns out, homemade peppermint patties are SUPER easy to make at home! Mix the batter, let it rest, and dip in chocolate. So simple and a go-to for gift giving or sharing.
PEPPERMINT PATTY INGREDIENTS
Just a little kitchen tip before you get started… Make sure you use peppermint extract and NOT mint. There is a big difference in these flavors so double check you have the right one on hand.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk– This ingredient is going to be the “glue” that holds the filling together. You can find sweetened condensed milk in the baking aisle of most grocery stores. It is typically sold in a small can. OR you can try making your own Sweetened Condensed Milk with this easy recipe.
- Peppermint Extract– Triple check that label! You want peppermint and NOT mint.
- Powdered Sugar– Also known as confectioners sugar, this is typically used for frostings or glazes. Powdered sugar helps give you a sweet filling without the grit of granulated sugar.
- Chocolate Chips– I suggest semi sweet chocolate chips for this recipe. It will give you that authentic peppermint patty flavor.
- Shortening– Do not substitute with butter. Shortening is going to help slightly thin out the chocolate to make for an easier dipping experience.
Mint extract is a combination of spearmint and peppermint. It will not give you the same sweet flavor of peppermint extract. Read the label carefully and avoid a potential recipe fail.
HOMEMADE YORK PEPPERMINT PATTIES
- PREP: Line your work surface with parchment paper.
- MIX: Add the sweetened milk, powdered sugar, and peppermint extract to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Alternatively, you could use a hand mixer. Slowly stir until the ingredients are fully combined and a dough forms.
- SPOON: Scoop, or spoon, the dough into 1 inch balls. Place on the prepared parchment paper and lightly flatten into a circle to form the peppermint center.
- REST: Let the disks sit for 2 hours, turning over once halfway through. This allows the filling to harden just enough that they will dip into the chocolate perfectly without falling apart.
- DIP: Melt the chocolate chips with the shortening, which helps to thin the chocolate making it perfect dipping textures, and dip each disk. Let them sit for 10-20 minutes, or long enough for the chocolate to set.
Here’s the deal, I can’t tell you what’s inside of a York. BUT I can tell you the filling in these tastes eerily close. Sweetened milk, peppermint extract, and powdered sugar make up the filling in these Easy Christmas Peppermint Patties.
These should be stored in a refrigerator or freezer. They last weeks if kept properly. All honesty, they probably would last months but we eat them too quickly to know.
You can. However, I prefer the taste of the semi sweet chips. They give you a more authentic flavor of the York Patty.
Add a tablespoon or two of shortening, never butter, to the chocolate chips and stir until melted. The shortening will help to thin the chocolate making it the perfect dipping consistency.
No. The ingredients used in this recipe do not need to be refrigerated. However, the chocolate will stay firm and help them from sticking together if they are stored inside the refrigerator.
Want to try another chocolate mint treat? These homemade mint chocolate cupcakes are drool worthy!
Homemade Peppermint Patties
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 1½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoons shortening
- Combine the first three ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat with a paddle attachment until fully combined.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. Place on wax paper and gently flatten with your fingers into a disk. Allow to sit 2 hours, turning once halfway through.
- Melt the semi sweet chips with 1 teaspoon shortening. If the dip seems a little too thick add the extra teaspoon of shortening. Dip each patty using a fork and place back onto the wax paper until set.
MORE CHOCOLATE TREATS YOU WILL LOVE
- Lemon Truffles
- White Chocolate Pretzels
- No Churn Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
- Mint Brownie Brittle
- 2 Ingredient Mint Fudge
- Mint Brownies