These Christmas Muddy Buddies are a family tradition! Only a handful of ingredients and that gives you an irresistible dessert filled with chocolate and peanut butter goodness.
Looking for other delicious holiday treats? Be sure to try my Homemade Christmas Tree Cakes, M&M Christmas Cookies, and my 2-Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge!
- Easy Dessert: This takes less than 20 minutes to make! Seriously so simple and delicious flavor.
- No-Bake: All of the magic happens in the microwave, making this a no-bake dessert!
- Perfect for Sharing: This is so great for serving at parties or adding to your cookie trays! We almost always have the ingredients on hand to whip up a batch in a pinch.
I am OBSESSED with this new puppy chow flavor. I used my classic Muddy Buddy Recipe, but with one very specific twist. BUTTERSCOTCH!
Each light and puffy cereal piece is thinly coated with the perfect combination of chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. That means if you are eating it one by one, or by the handful, you are getting a delicious blend of all of the flavors in every single bite.
PUPPY CHOW INGREDIENTS
If you’ve never heard of, or made, this recipe you are in for a real treat! Essentially, it is peanut butter and chocolate mixed together and tossed on cereal. Dust it all with powdered sugar and you have a sweet snack mix that is addicting! Here is what you will need to make your own:
- Chex Cereal: You could use any chex cereal flavor, but I find the classic Rice Chex tastes the best.
- Chocolate Chips: Semi sweet is my go-to. However, you can use milk chocolate if you like a more mild cocoa flavor.
- Butterscotch Chips: The big twist here is using butterscotch chips. This is where you get a little hint of extra sweetness with a wonderful caramel and molasses addition.
- Peanut Butter: Use creamy peanut butter. Crunchy peanut butter won’t melt into the chocolate quite as well as a creamy version. You can also substitute this for sunflower seed, almond, or cashew butter.
- Butter: Use unsalted or salted butter. I love the addition of a little added salt, but unsalted tastes equally delicious.
- Vanilla Extract: Pure vanilla extract helps to pull all of the flavors together giving everything a little extra boost.
- Powdered Sugar: Once the cereal is coated in chocolate you’ll toss it in powdered sugar to finish off the delicious treat.
- Optional Toppings: M&M’s, Sprinkles, or any other holiday themed candy.
HOW TO MAKE CHRISTMAS PUPPY CHOW
- PREP: Line a baking tray with parchment and set aside for later. Fill a large mixing bowl with the cereal.
- MELT: Place the chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, and butter into a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute and stir until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- TOSS: Quickly drizzle the melted chocolate over the cereal and stir gently, or toss, to combine until each piece is coated fully.
- SUGAR: Transfer the cereal mixture to the zip top bag with powdered sugar. Mix, toss, and turn until every piece is coated.
- SET: Spread the cereal out onto the prepared tray and let it sit for a few minutes to cool and set.
- Airtight Container: Once the muddy buddies have cooled completely you will want to keep them stored in a good airtight container (affiliate).
- Mixing Bowl: I used a very large mixing bowl with a lid (affiliate) to toss the cereal with the chocolate AND the powdered sugar. It makes things super quick and easy.
- Silicone Spatulas: These silicone spatulas (affiliate) are extremely useful when stirring the cereal. It helps scrape the sides of the bowl making sure that every ounce of chocolate makes it onto the cereal.
Well, to put it bluntly, this recipe is called “puppy chow” because it resembles dog kibble. Eventually, Chex discovered how popular, and frankly delicious, the recipe is and rebranded it as “muddy Buddies.”
Yep! You can freeze puppy chow in an airtight container, or freezer safe zip top bag, for up to 2 months.
If stored in an airtight container at room temperature, this recipe should be eaten within 1 week.
The best way to store this recipe is in a quality airtight container on the counter on inside the pantry. You can freeze if you would like it to be longer lasting.
No problem! Substitute sunflower seed, almond, or cashew butter for equal amounts of the peanut butter called for.
MORE MUST-TRY HOLIDAY TREATS
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Christmas Puppy Chow
- 9 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Holiday sprinkles or M&M candies optional
- Line a baking tray with parchment and set aside for later. Fill a large mixing bowl with the cereal.
- Place the chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, and butter into a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute and stir until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Quickly drizzle the melted chocolate over the cereal and stir gently, or toss, to combine until each piece is coated fully.
- Transfer the cereal mixture to the zip top bag with powdered sugar. Mix, toss, and turn until every piece is coated.
- Spread the cereal out onto the prepared tray and let it sit for a few minutes to cool and set.
- Add sprinkles or chocolate candies if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Leave a Review!