This is, hands down, the best Puppy Chow Snack Mix (AKA: Muddy Buddies). Only a handful of ingredients and ready in minutes, this quick dessert is irresistible ! Loaded with chocolate and peanut butter flavor and the perfect treat to feed a crowd.
This recipe was originally published August 24, 2015. It has since been updated to include fresh photos and helpful tips.
- 6-Ingredients: You only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this dessert. It is INSANE how much flavor you can get from just a few simple items.
- No-Bake: NO bake and no stove-top cooking! You need roughly 1 minute in the microwave. That’s it!
- 5-Minutes: Literally ready in five minutes. This is ideal for a quick weekday snack, party favorite, or gift!
Here’s the deal, I claim ZERO credit for this recipe. We have been making it since I was a kid. I couldn’t tell you where it originated, but I can tell you that it is delicious and one that I have memorized. We make it that often.
Each light and puffy cereal piece is thinly coated with the perfect combination of chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. That means if you are eating it one by one, or by the handful, you are getting a delicious blend of all of the flavors in every single bite.
IS PUPPY CHOW THE SAME THING AS MUDDY BUDDIES?
Yep. It actually goes by many names. Whether you call it puppy chow, Muddy Buddies, or monkey munch… They are all the same delicious recipe.
PUPPY CHOW INGREDIENTS
There are only six ingredients in this recipe for Chex mix muddy buddies. You can stick with the recipe as written, or follow some of the delicious variations provided. Here is a quick look at what you need to get started.
- Chex Cereal: When I look through the cereal aisle I am always blown away at all of the Chex cereal options. This recipe tastes best with rice or corn Chex. If this is the first time you are trying it, stick with rice.
- Chocolate: I love a good mix of semi sweet and milk chocolate. It adds a rich and delicious chocolate taste that is over the moon. But you can always use one or the other. Mixing is completely optional and you will get the same great flavor. Use what you prefer.
- Peanut Butter: Specifically, creamy peanut butter. I haven’t made this with crunchy but I assume it would cause issues with the cereal sticking together. Give me a shout out if you have tried it with success.
- Butter: Either salted or unsalted will work in this recipe. Really, the butter is minimal and there to help the chocolate stay melty long enough to toss while still allowing it to dry to a crunchy finish.
- Vanilla: Optional, but a delicious way to blend the flavors.
- Powdered Sugar: Part of the reason this is the BEST puppy chow recipe is the finishing touch of powdered sugar coating every piece.
HOW TO MAKE MUDDY BUDDIES
- Gather Ingredients: Decide on the chocolate type you want to use, measure the butter, and prep the powdered sugar in a large zip top bag.
- Melt the Chocolate: Place the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter in a glass, or microwave safe, bowl. Heat one minute in the microwave and stir until smooth.
- Mix: Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the cereal. Mix, mix, and mix some more until everything is coated evenly.
- Toss: Transfer the cereal mixture to the zip top bag with powdered sugar. Mix, toss, and turn until every piece is coated.
RECIPE TIPS AND FAQS
Well, to put it bluntly, this recipe is called “puppy chow” because it resembles dog kibble. Eventually, Chex discovered how popular, and frankly delicious, the recipe is and rebranded it as “muddy Buddies.”
Yep! You can freeze puppy chow in an airtight container, or freezer safe zip top bag, for up to 2 months.
If stored in an airtight container at room temperature, this recipe should be eaten within 1 week.
The best way to store this recipe is in a quality airtight container on the counter on inside the pantry. You can freeze if you would like it to be longer lasting.
No problem! Substitute sunflower seed, almond, or cashew butter for equal amounts of the peanut butter called for.
MORE PEANUT BUTTER TREATS
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- 2-Ingredient Chocolate PB Fudge
- Lunch Lady Bars
- Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Peanut Butter Cookies
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Puppy Chow Recipe
- 9 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips we like a mix of half semi sweet and half milk chocolate
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Place the cereal in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Measure the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter into a small glass, or microwave safe, bowl.
- Heat inside the microwave for one minute.
- Stir well until smooth, adding an additional 20 seconds if needed.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal and stir until all of the pieces are coated.
- Pour into a large zip lock bag (or container), add the powdered sugar, and gently shake until all of the pieces are coated.
- Turn out onto a foil lined surface and allow to cool.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Leave a Review!