This post was updated on by
This incredibly simple Coconut Horchata Latte will make you feel like the ultimate barista! Made with homemade coconut horchata, espresso, and ice for the perfect iced latte recipe.
For the last few weeks I have woken up to the wonderful smell of coffee and it is all because I hired my own personal barista!
Er… Or maybe it is because my husband is obsessed with the Mr. Coffee® Pump Espresso Maker that is sitting on the counter. At first we were so intimidated by the idea of espresso that we let that poor lonely machine just sit… It sat on that counter staring me down for about a week before I bit the bullet and finally broke open the instructions.
Good news? It is impossibly simple to use and I was worried over nothing. The instructions were clear and our FIRST try turned out amazing! It wasn’t long before we started to experiment with so many different cappuccino and latte flavors but my ALL time favorite was this
Horchata Latte Recipe
What is Horchata?
Horchata is one of those drinks that I love and always have on hand. All you really need to do is blend and soak two base ingredients and top off with a little milk. The classic version is made with either ground almonds, tiger nuts, or rice.
I chose rice for this recipe.
Since I wanted an extra creamy latte with a punch of flavor, I made the simple swap from regular milk to coconut.
Our version of horchatta is SO delicious. But it is even better with a shot or two of fresh brewed espresso!
The creamy drink tones down the deep flavor of the coffee and makes it ideal for sipping warm or chilled! Once you have got this mixed up it is time to brew those shots and get them mixed in!
Tips for making the perfect espresso:
- Invest in a bean grinder. Fresh grounds really do give you the best flavor!
- Pack it tight! You want to make sure you pack the grounds tightly and evenly before getting things going. This will ensure that you get even flavor.
- A clean machine produces better coffee. I’m not saying to go crazy and scrub, scrub, scrub. But making sure you properly maintain and clean your espresso maker is always a good idea.
Ingredients for a horchata latte:
- Long grain rice
- Cinnamon sticks
- Coconut milk
How to make a coconut horchata latte:
- Combine the rice and cinnamon sticks with 2 cups of water in a blender. Pulse until both are slightly ground. Add the remaining water, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and discard the rice/cinnamon grounds. Stir the sugar, coconut milk, and vanilla extract into your rice drink.
- Pour 1 shot of espresso into your glass or cup and top off with the horchata. Stir and enjoy!
Like this recipe? You will love my: