Gingerbread Men Cookies Recipe. Crunchy on the outside – soft and chewy in the center! These Christmas Cookies are the best way to add holiday flavor to your dessert tray!
These gingerbread cookies are crunchy on the exterior but have a wonderful soft and chewy center. Both high on my list for the perfect cookie.
Bonus? I love the smell that fills our home while these are in the oven. It smells like Christmas. The combination of all of those great spices is one that you just ca not replicate any other way.
- Make Ahead: Gingerbread cookies can be made and stored for up to six weeks!
- Easy Decorating: No need to get fancy with these little cookies. Pipe a simple smile face and enjoy!
- Soft and Chewy: Crisp outside but a super soft center. Perfect for decorations.
What You’ll Need:
Most of the ingredients for these super easy gingerbread cookies, with the exception of molasses, should be pantry staples. Which means they are already on hand! For a full list of ingredients and instructions see the recipe card below.
- Flour: Both all-purpose and whole wheat
- Salt, Baking Powder and Baking Soda: Flavor enhancer and leavening agents. Be sure these are fresh.
- Spices: Cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg give these cookies their classic flavor.
- Sugar: For sweetness.
- Molasses and Egg
Step by Step Instructions:
I earn a small commission from items purchased through the links above. This helps me keep my recipes free for you. I only share products I use in my own kitchen and love.
- Add the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg in a medium sized bowl (affiliate). Whisk until fully combined and set aside.
- Cream the butter with the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer (affiliate). Stir in the molasses and egg. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough pulls from the side.
- Divide into two equal portions, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking trays with parchment or a silicone baking mat (affiliate).
- Roll your dough 1/4 inch thick and cut with desired cookie cutter (affiliate). Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
Once you have let your gingerbread men recipe cool it is time for frosting! I am not super great at this part but I have found that it does not matter how perfect they are. A simple piped smile is all you need!
These soft gingerbread cookies with icing seem to disappear quick enough that no one will notice their mismatched eyes or the crazy buttons. A close flavor competition between these and Gingerbread Cupcakes with Eggnog Frosting.
Tips and FAQ’s for Gingerbread Men Cookies:
- Soft classic gingerbread cookies are going to depend on the freshness of your leavening agent, like baking soda and baking powder. Be sure these are fresh and haven’t gone bad.
- Keep these stored in an air tight container (affiliate) or zip top bag for optimum freshness.
- Ginger Drop Cookies
- Christmas Wreath Cookies
- Melted Snowman Cookie Recipe
- Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- Easy Reindeer Cookies
- Caramel Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- Add the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg in a medium sized bowl. Whisk until fully combined and set aside.
- Cream the butter with the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Stir in the molasses and egg. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough pulls from the side. Divide into two equal portions, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking trays with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Roll your dough 1/4 inch thick and cut with desired cookie cutter. Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
These cookies have a long shelf life. If stored properly, they can last 4 to 6 weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g