This post was updated on by
Peanut butter kiss cookies are a holiday favorite! Kiss candies are immediately pressed into warm and fluffy cookies giving you the perfect combination of chocolate and peanut butter.
This post was originally published December 5, 2013. It has since been updated.
I don’t know how these were deemed a holiday cookie, but I look forward to these all year. Peanut butter isn’t my typical go-to when I think of cookie recipes, but there is something about this one that I cannot help but love.
The cookie itself is soft, fluffy, and not too sweet. Pair that with the classic milk chocolate candy kisses and it is a match made in heaven.
Thumbprint Hershey Kiss Cookies
Peanut Butter Blossoms Ingredients:
- Butter or shortening
- Creamy peanut butter
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Chocolate kiss cookies
Butter vs Shortening in cookies:
When making cookies I will typically stick with butter. I like the flavor it gives and do not keep shortening on hand. However, in recipes like this one where the shape is super important (you want a puffy cookie), I stick with shortening. Why?
Glad you asked.
Butter melts at a lower temperature than shortening, which means your cookies will flatten more than ideal. Having a puffy cookie is preferred so you can have a good base to press the candy into.
How long do kiss cookies last?
We have found that peanut butter blossoms last around 3-4 days when stored properly. After that they start to harden and the flavor will be less than ideal.
Can you freeze peanut butter blossoms or kiss cookies?
Yes, but you want to freeze the dough vs the cooked cookies. I have a great tutorial on how to freeze cookie dough with some great tips, but here is a quick breakdown:
- Scoop and shape your cookie dough into rounds.
- Place close together on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Freeze for 1 hour.
- Remove and store in a freezer safe bag or air tight container. Be sure to label and date.
How to make Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream together the shortening and peanut butter in the bowl of an electric mixer. Stir in 1/2 cup of sugar and the brown sugar. Add the baking powder, baking soda, egg, milk, vanilla, and flour. Stir to combine.
- Shape the dough into one inch circles. Roll each mound in the 1/4 cup of sugar and place on your prepared sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Press a chocolate candy into the center immediately and cool on a wire rack.
Like this recipe? You will love my: