Mexican Hot Chocolate. Warm your belly with this hot chocolate recipe that packs a kick! Cinnamon and chili powder blend with cocoa for the perfect belly warming recipe.
I love cold weather.
There are so many great things about the chilly winter days…
Cuddles by the fire.
AND hot chocolate.
Of all the versions we have made in the past, this one takes the cake. It is my absolute favorite hot chocolate recipe.
Mexican Hot chocolate
How does this recipe differ from regular ol’ hot chocolate?
Glad you asked.
This recipe has a kick that will tickle your taste buds! Cinnamon and chili powder are remarkably well paired with sweet chocolate.
The amounts called for give you just a subtle hint of spice but an overwhelming warm chocolate flavor. It is perfection.
Tips for the perfect cup of hot chocolate:
- Skip the marshmallows. Whip 1/4 cup of heavy cream with a dash of sugar. Once stiff peaks form you can top your warm cocoa with a dollop (<<< my favorite word).
- Option 2: COOL WHIP. This one is hit or miss but we enjoy it as a family.
- If you HAVE to use marshmallows, opt for the homemade variety.
- Use whole milk. The creamy thickness comes from the milk you use. Whole offers a perfect texture.
- Sharing makes it 100x better. Ok, maybe not true. But is it not more fun that way??
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 3 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch chili powder
- 1 cup milk heated just to a boil
- Whipped cream optional
Combine the cocoa mix, syrup, cinnamon, and chili powder in a large mug. Slowly stir in the warmed milk until all of the ingredients are combined.
Top with whipped cream and enjoy.