This homemade alfredo sauce recipe is better than Olive Garden! Minimal ingredient and big bold flavor. Perfect for pasta night!
I LOVE THIS RECIPE.
Well, really I love any Fettuccine alfredo recipe, but this one in particular is sinfully delicious. It’s rich, creamy, and full of flavor. Amazing on any pasta.
I would even confidently say it challenges the Olive Garden Alfredo recipe. Incredibly similar in flavor and texture but with a more robust flavor profile.
- Quick and Easy- From start to finish you’re looking at roughly 20 minutes.
- Minimal Ingredients: This is a 5-ingredient dinner recipe.
- Ultimate Comfort Food: Rich, creamy, and filling!
What You Need:
Like many pasta sauce recipes, this one contains minimal ingredients. Each one plays an important roll in the flavor profile. Be sure to use fresh garlic and cracked pepper for the best results.
How to Make Alfredo Sauce from Scratch:
Before I dive into the instructions, I’d like to go over a few items that could be extremely useful. A good pot or deep pan (affiliate) is a great start. Also be sure to have a whisk (affiliate) on hand. You will be doing a lot of stirring during the cooking process and do not want the cream and cheese to separate.
TIP: If you are using a coated pan opt for a silicone coated whisk to avoid any damage to the surface.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the cream. Bring to a low simmer and cook for five minutes. Do not boil.
- Whisk in the cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, and stir consistently until creamy.
- Season with pepper to taste and serve over your favorite pasta.
Tips and FAQs:
This easy alfredo sauce recipe is a quick weeknight dinner idea. It is amazing with pasta all on it’s own or served with chicken. We even like to toss in some broccoli for a full meal idea. Serve with a side of garlic bread for a carb overload.
what can I add to alfredo sauce for flavor?
This recipe is flavor packed already, thanks to the addition of TWO cloves of garlic, but you can definitely play with more spices. Italian seasoning and parsley are two of my spices of choice. You can also stir in a little more pepper or garlic powder.
How to make alfredo from scratch without heavy cream:
No cream? No problem! You can whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour with the butter. Substitute the cream with milk. Just like that you have homemade alfredo sauce with milk.
How to reheat alfredo sauce:
Alfredo sauce can be tricky to reheat. It solidifies in the refrigerator which makes it extra thick.
Our suggestion is to add a touch of water or milk when reheating. This will give it the liquid needed to smooth out without losing any flavor.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Whisk in the cream. Bring to a low simmer and cook for five minutes. Do not boil.
4. Whisk in the cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, and stir consistently until creamy.
5. Season with pepper to taste and serve over your favorite pasta.
Always use fresh Parmesan, not grated.
No cream? No problem! You can whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour with the butter. Substitute the cream with milk.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 786mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g